CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

1st June 2020, 18:41
Norah, thanks. You are now classed as a non-executive director of PU - that's a 'thank you' for hosting our meetings. I'll let you know when the AGM is in case you want to see us at our pedantic best. (No need to wear a pendant, we're an understated lot.)
1581 of 2514  -   Report This Post

tyke51

1st June 2020, 20:36
Jigjag

The Channel Islands are much nearer France than the UK so they were `invaded`and occupied by our German friends from June 1940 until liberation in 1945 - so much for `depending`on Britain to ensure their defence. I first went to Jersey in 1966, World Cup year - I managed to see Spain play Switzerland at Hillsborough - no chance of England tickets for me - did you have any better luck?
1582 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

1st June 2020, 20:44
Norah

I would also like to welcome you aboard the board of the PU and thanks for entering into the spirit of this thread.

Malone

I thought the crossword was easy too - I think the cricket clue was something to do with bat.

Yes I am drinking large quantities of shandy in this weather. It is not alcoholic of course so I consume copious supplies of it.

You are right that it is not pie weather, so I have been eating sausage rolls and Spanish tortillas. I had one of these today - had to be microwaved - what sort of food is that - it was the most tasteless thing I have ever tasted and that is saying something.

Cooler here Weds - so 4 pasties to use up.

1583 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

1st June 2020, 20:56
Tyke

I dont remember much about the 1966 World Cup. i remember my dad thinking about buying a package of 10 tickets for us. They were readily available I think. You got the 6 group games at Goodison and OT, a QTr final, semi, 3rd place match and Final. But we didnt go to any. It didnt seem a big deal then.

I went to Euros in Belgium 2000. My Belgian friend got tickets for 3 matches incl 2 England matches. We beat Germany which was great and might have gone a long way but for Phil Neville.

1584 of 2514  -   Report This Post

tyke51

2nd June 2020, 00:57
Jigjag

I suppose for Everton supporters, used to watching only the best, England winning the World Cup in 1966 must have been nothing to get excited about. I was a young lad, 15 years old , and pleased to have been part of it - the bad news ... I missed the last train home from Sheffield and had to get a taxi back to Doncaster.
1585 of 2514  -   Report This Post

orson

2nd June 2020, 12:10
As an 8 year old in 1966 I remember there was a great deal of satisfaction in the country when England won, but nothing like the euphoria that I think would erupt if they won it now. It would seem like a miracle and all the players would get knighthoods for a start.

No, the mood was more that it was only right and proper that we had won because we had invented the game after all. Plus we were playing (West) Germany and we always beat the Germans, didn't we? That was also said when we played them again in 1970. Those words have come back to bite us ever since.

As this is a pedantry thread, we could get into a discussion on the use of the word "substitute" in football.
1586 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

2nd June 2020, 17:15
Tyke

It was a great year for Evertonians. We won the Cup Final (My dad managed to get tickets through a connection (I didnt realise how lucky I was)..........then England won.

My hero was Ray Wilson and he played in both. He was an incredible defender. Only one booking in his career, for handball.

It is amazing to think that Goodison was the best club ground in the country then. It is very much the same today, hard to develop it. The England semi final should have been there but it was changed. They would not get away with that today.

1587 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

2nd June 2020, 17:20
Orson

I agree with your comments that it was not felt to be a particularly important victory. After all Alf Ramsey said we would win it.

I am not happy with the amount of substitutions or the time taken, though I dont suppose this is what you meant. And they are taliking of allowing 5 - mid-season. Ludicrous.
1588 of 2514  -   Report This Post

tyke51

2nd June 2020, 20:11
Jigjag

Yes I remember a lot of England supporters were upset that England played all their games at Wembley - don`t think Sir Alf was complaining! I think the other London venue was the old White City - not sure why Highbury missed out. Ayresome Park was used but not St James, which was nothing like the ground it is today.

Orson

I suppose a large number of subs might generate some sort of atmosphere - at least we should be spared the spectacle of players, coaches and subs spitting every few seconds - not the most edifying part of the beautiful game.
1589 of 2514  -   Report This Post

orson

2nd June 2020, 21:49
What I was thinking of was an old use of substitute that hardly anyone bothers about now. Basically, something should be substituted for something and not by something.

White sugar can be substituted for brown if you don't have any of the latter. But often we hear a football commentator say that Jones has been substituted by Brown, or the manager substituted Smith in the second half. It would be more elegant to say replaced instead, but nobody does when it comes to football and it's something hardly anyone bothers about. But it's all right to call the new player on the pitch the substitute (also in cricket) rather than the replacement.
1590 of 2514  -   Report This Post