CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

cerasus

29th May 2020, 07:45
Good moaning everyone
I hope the PU thread will stay. . It is such a joy to read .
Please continue to contribute. Thanks all
1541 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

29th May 2020, 12:27
Cerasus

It is very kind of you to say that. Certainly Malone and I will continue to contribute but a couple of regulars are under the impression that the thread is banned. I am hoping they will be persuaded to continue.
1542 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

29th May 2020, 12:37
Cerasus, thanks - that was very kind of you.

Jigjag, thanks. I'm sure we'll keep going so long as we can. I'll put my thinking cap on and see what PU-type thoughts come my way.
1543 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

29th May 2020, 12:39
Malone

I am sorry but I quit without looking at this thread which I cannot explain. Thanks for the hint but I didnt solve it. I never think of BEST in that sense. This has been such a successful thread that I was amazed that it was banned but if it continues I will be back. I have enjoyed your observations and stories so much. I was pleased that there was a pie clue in the Times yesterday.

Orson

Thanks for the answer. If the Editor did get involved, it certainly spoiled the nice idea.

Cerasus

Glad you enjoy the thread.
1544 of 2514  -   Report This Post

cerasus

29th May 2020, 12:42
Please do not ban this excellent 'cross' about 'words' thread. And I am unanimous in that (Mrs Slocombe)
1545 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

29th May 2020, 12:47
Grunger, how lovely to see you (read you?). I'm glad you got the Bestow clue sorted. I've not had much free time to put any 'observations' on here - staying alert is a time-consuming, never-ending task.

PS To visitors, people passing by... This thread was started as we had quite a few pedants among the crossword solvers, and it gave us a place to moan, tut, set the world to rights. If you have any moans relating to language, apostrophes, phrases that annoy you and so on, feel free to add any comments here. We occasionally stray off topic, but are always delighted when there's pedant stuff to discuss.
1546 of 2514  -   Report This Post

tyke51

29th May 2020, 12:49
I hope the thread is allowed to continue and encourage everyone to participate - Grunger ... check out any time you want - but you can never leave!
1547 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

30th May 2020, 14:36
Malone Tyke

Thanks for your kind words. It seems that that the thread will continue so I will be happy to contribute. I therefore unresign, which I dont think you can do at chess, unless Orson tells me otherwise.

1548 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

30th May 2020, 14:46
To Potential Pedants

I should like to endorse Malone's comments. This thread is for all. We are men and women, all over the country from Scotland to London, Norfolk to North Wales, and we share the common interests of crosswords, pedantry and humour.

All contributions are gratefully received and acknowledged, whether serious or not, and anecdotes or stories are very welcome.

So please do post something, it will lead to interesting discussions.
1549 of 2514  -   Report This Post

orson

30th May 2020, 14:53
Grunger, if you accidentally knock your king over in chess, it doesn't mean you have resigned.
1550 of 2514  -   Report This Post