CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

30th May 2020, 18:42
Norah, thanks very much. That was all very helpful and informative.

PS - Sorry, but I really don't want to be a Pendant! (And as for 'pendantors'.... wince!). I feel safe mentioning these as you apologised in advance.

I'm off to make my own apologies now - to Brenda/Brendan.
1561 of 2514  -   Report This Post

brendan

30th May 2020, 18:46
Don't worry Malone, I can promise I've been called a lot worse:-)
1562 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

30th May 2020, 18:50
Grunger

I'm relieved you paid attention to the '5 A Day' stuff and put it into action. I don't know which country it is, but there is one which encourages '9 A Day'. Even Jigjag, with his access to the finest fruit and veg, could find that hard-going at times.

I think the 'units' refers to alcohol. I don't know how anyone can keep track of all that anyway - working out how many units are in a small glass of wine, a large glass of wine, a beer, a strong beer... maybe drinkers all go around with a calculator to hand?
1563 of 2514  -   Report This Post

tyke51

30th May 2020, 21:03
Norah

Thanks for your comments which have cheered us all up.

Chrise

Pleased you got the reference to `Hotel California` - if I`m in a pub (happy days!) where modern `music`is being played I normally put it on for us oldies.

Grunger

I`m getting by on bottled beer and warm-up ready meals - securing delivery slots has been a challenge, I`ve had to give up Tesco (having shopped there for many years) and transfer my loyalties to Morrisons - I`ve not bought anything, apart from online since lockdown - anyone want to buy a car?
1564 of 2514  -   Report This Post

brendan

30th May 2020, 21:10
Hi Tyke,

I've had various attempts at trying to learn Hotel California on the guitar, and it's only then do you truly realise how brilliant Don Felder and Joe Walsh are. When I visit my brothers we invariably end up trying to play it - with limited (at least on my part) success:-(
1565 of 2514  -   Report This Post

tyke51

30th May 2020, 21:25
Hi Brendan,

Hotel California is probably my favourite song - I think the Eagles are still touring? There are some brilliant solo covers of the song on youtube such as this one from a very young `Sungha Jung` ...

... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSIC1zJ3Nno
1566 of 2514  -   Report This Post

norah (admin)

30th May 2020, 21:30
Oops, Malone, I see what mean. For the first time I’ve realised there is no ‘d’ in the word, I’ve always read it as penDant, shows what I (don’t) know about grammar.

Many apologies.
1567 of 2514  -   Report This Post

tyke51

30th May 2020, 21:41
Malone,

Perhaps we could have a thread where people can do penance ... and, for semaphore enthusiasts, one for pennants ?
1568 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

30th May 2020, 22:25
Norah, thanks. Glad you didn't mind me pointing out the … error of your ways! Chrise had a slightly more tactful nudge before I posted - I've never been able to be subtle.

Tyke51,

A great idea - penance, pennants...and some miscreants could end up in the penitentiary, perhaps? I've a penchant for 'pen...' words - maybe I was a Penelope in an earlier life (in Pennsylvania, of course).
1569 of 2514  -   Report This Post

tyke51

31st May 2020, 13:58
Norah

Hope you`ve recovered your equilibrium - life does have a habit of kicking us up the bum at times!

Malone

We have a town in Yorkshire called Penistone - not sure where it got its name - Chrise may have an innocent explanation - he seems well - travelled!
1570 of 2514  -   Report This Post