CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jigjag

3rd June 2020, 14:30
Orson

You will be surprised to hear that they get it right at Goodison Park. The announcer says "No. 8, X, being replaced by No. 27, Y".

They only use "substitute" before the match when they read the team and then "Substitutes for Everton today are...."

Interesting that the subs in Rugby are "replacements"

1591 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

3rd June 2020, 14:40
Tyke

Yes a match was played at White City - should have been Wembley but it clashed with a greyhound meeting - which took preference!. Imagine that today. I dont know why they didnt use a League ground.

You have a great idea. You are right that more subs would help the atmosphere. I rang Goodison this morning and asked that they propose at today's Premier League meeting that the number of subs per side be increased from the suggested 5 to 20,000. They thought I was joking.

1592 of 2514  -   Report This Post

tyke51

3rd June 2020, 15:02
Jigjag

You`ve reminded me of FA Cup Finals of yesteryear - the finalists were only allocated about 17,000 tickets each, which meant many supporters lost out or took a chance with the ticket touts (Stan Flashman?)
The friday night before the final there was always greyhound racing at Wembley - some ticketless fans tried to hide somewhere in the ground overnight. I think the Wembley authorities got wise to this and `swept` the ground after the last race - I hope some fans managed to get away with it!
1593 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

3rd June 2020, 21:56
Malone/Jigjag

I struggled with the bottom right quadrant in the Times today. I got Sandpit, so the "Foodie/exam" clue (3,6) coming down from the P must be Pie Tester though I cant quite parse it, and I cant see some of the others. Quite tough for me today.

1594 of 2514  -   Report This Post

cerasus

4th June 2020, 09:26
Grunger
Change sandpit to sandBOX :)
1595 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

4th June 2020, 10:26
Cerasus

Thanks I did so and completed it. I have never heard of sandbox.
1596 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

4th June 2020, 16:15
Cerasus grunger

I see they published "Bandbox". I think your answer is better and would be accepted in Times final.
1597 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

4th June 2020, 16:26
Jigjag Cerasus

I have only heard of bandbox in the hat box sense. It doesnt make sense to me. Surely sad rather bad is better for pathetic.

1598 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

4th June 2020, 16:51
Jigjag, Cerasus, Grunger

I didn't finish yesterday's crossword - I was too busy, a great feeling nowadays. I definitely prefer Sandbox, and I don't think Bandbox even works.

Grunger

Your willingness to see pies - even just the word - where none exist is maybe a bit … worrying?
1599 of 2514  -   Report This Post

cerasus

4th June 2020, 17:08
Just in from gardening:

Chambers has sandbox as sandpit - play area for children.
I think it is a North American name for sandpit.
1600 of 2514  -   Report This Post