CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

grunger

11th July 2020, 21:22
alanf

thanks for those. I love Rout 66. I think my favourite is DEE-Po. I hate lever and leverage (as they pronounce them). Pity they can never pronounce a "t".
1681 of 2514  -   Report This Post

chrise

11th July 2020, 21:43
Yes, "rout" for "route" always sounds wrong to me. It's often used in American Football commentary.
1682 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

11th July 2020, 21:47
ChrisE

Thanks. I dont watch that but I have heard it in baseball
1683 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

11th July 2020, 22:53
Grunger

Did your ladies cricket team play today?
1684 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

12th July 2020, 10:11
Jigjag

No but we start on Weds. I turned out in a club 2nds/3rds match. We had to arrive and leave in whites, bring our own food. Could not go in changing rooms or showers. I bowled a few respectable overs and we went off for hand-sanitising every half-hour or so.

My tea was a pie and a bottle of water sitting on the grass with the crossword. Nobody hugged, kissed or high-fived me, in fact, nobody came anywhere near me. I felt very safe and it was such a lovely day. Great to be back.
1685 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

13th July 2020, 12:22
grunger

Thanks for the account of your cricket match. I am sorry nobody went near you, but I am sure you appreciated being isolated. Hope you completed the crossword in the "tea" interval.
1686 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

13th July 2020, 15:00
Jigjag

I was trying to finish the Friday Times. I didnt get the pitcher clue. I was only thinking about baseball and had not heard of Jailhouse Rock. Before my time I think.

1687 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

14th July 2020, 13:00
Grunger

I thought the Times was very hard on Friday and yet very easy yesterday. I was pleased to read about the pie-eaters of Wigan today.
1688 of 2514  -   Report This Post

orson

22nd July 2020, 11:43
I saw these words on the cover of Private Eye yesterday: "I can't promise to save everyone's jobs".

That would only make sense if everyone had two or more jobs. But as most people have one job, I think it should just be everyone's job. But then we do think of "everyone" as a plural sometimes, as in "I want everyone to enjoy themselves", a usage that was common before all the agonizing about he/she.
1689 of 2514  -   Report This Post

orson

22nd July 2020, 13:35
And I noticed these in the papers this morning:

"Three million people will have to pay for their TV licence."
Unless they are going to share one licence amongst them, it should be licences. We lift up our heads, even though we only have one each.

Then this from a diplomat in the Times:
"The police must continuously review their terminology."
He means continually, unless he expects the police to reviews things for every second of every minute of every day.
1690 of 2514  -   Report This Post