CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jigjag

3rd August 2020, 16:57
Malone Grunger

I was surprised to hear about the allegations against you on another thread. I cant imagine that there was anything in it, so I was pleased that the referee ruled in your favour.

1701 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

3rd August 2020, 16:59
Grunger

Do you really eat cheese sauce with your pie in the drawing-room?
1702 of 2514  -   Report This Post

paulhabershon

3rd August 2020, 17:33
Grunger

IT for (sex) appeal has long been a crossword staple along with SA. Chambers has the definition.

Also in Chambers pasty is defined as a pie. In trying to find PASTIE as an alternative I was intrigued to see only PASTIES, defined as nipple decorations and apparently having no singular form.
1703 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

3rd August 2020, 17:34
Orson, thanks. You'll be pleased to hear that I am perfectly happy with all of those words, I'd rattle off all the Rs in no time. It'd take me ages to say that I was 'drawring a barth before making a parth to the drawring room, to track down the brown sau(r)ce ...'
1704 of 2514  -   Report This Post

paulhabershon

3rd August 2020, 17:42
malone, Grunger

sauce/sauce homophone - I think the Times/S Times and others would use Received Pronunciation as a yardstick. They of course also specify the cockney convention when indicating a dropped H.
1705 of 2514  -   Report This Post

paulhabershon

3rd August 2020, 17:44
Meant sauce/source of course. (Just had to be an anagram there!)
1706 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

3rd August 2020, 17:47
Grunger, thanks. Yes, I fully expected the homophone to work for some people, some parts of the country - but it doesn't work for me personally!

I agree with you about It/Appeal. I know it's valid in that it's in Chambers - but it is just so, so dated and unimaginative!
1707 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jono

3rd August 2020, 17:49
Everyman loves a dropped H, yesterday.. eyeball for highball
1708 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jono

3rd August 2020, 18:01
On the subject of IT, today in the G it=vermouth was new to me but I’ll give it a try
1709 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

3rd August 2020, 18:26
Jigjag,

Thanks. I'd hoped my initial jocular comment would elicit something like 'Sorry, guys, I forgot about all those queries' from the OP. I wasn't expecting to be called a bully!

Jono

IT/Italian vermouth used to crop up in crosswords often too. I wasn't disappointed when it faded away a bit! (That might be because I have never heard anyone ask for a 'gin and It', or anything similar - it seems to hark back to David Niven or James Bond to me.)
1710 of 2514  -   Report This Post