CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

22nd June 2020, 18:45
Grunger

That was very kind of you, but I'm less erudite, eminent and exhilarating in real life - 'exasperating' might be a better E word.
I know the homophones can be contentious, so I feel they should be used sparingly.
The 'tractor boys' are new to me … I should have Googled before replying!

Orson
I liked your metres joke, but the pedant in me would have liked it better if I'd heard it rather than read it - that homophone works, of course, but the spelling....
1641 of 2514  -   Report This Post

tyke51

22nd June 2020, 19:10
Grunger

I think most fans are happy to donate any refunds to their club - the same with County Cricket - as far as I`m concerned I`m a Yorks member whether or not I get to see any cricket. I`m more worried about Scarborough CC because they rely on `gate` receipts to survive.
I hope they manage to stage some games later in the summer.
1642 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

24th June 2020, 11:45
Malone

To solve today's Times, I need to be fluent in French and a chess Grand Master. The first is no problem as I was exiled there pre-Covid as you know. As to the second, you made me a Grand Master but it was not chess unfortunately.

Tyke

Glad you can cut your pike in half and take it to the pub.

Grunger

The £200,000 re Everton refunds includes pre-paid hospitality. Even so I agree it is very generous

1643 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

24th June 2020, 12:06
Tyke

I see that cricket is the only sport banned, because Johnson says the ball is a vector. I havent heard of vectors since A level maths, so what is he talking about?

Even darts is allowed now, and surely they are vectors.
1644 of 2514  -   Report This Post

tyke51

24th June 2020, 15:11
Grunger

Yes I vaguely remember doing vector analysis - it`s never helped me find my way home from the pub though! If it`s dangerous playing cricket because the ball might be contaminated I`m surprised we`re allowed to go out at all.

Jigjag

I`ve been trying unsuccessfully to spot your cardboard cut-out at Goodison - I suppose you`ll be in the posh seats? My 2 metre pike has been officially retired - I confess it did stop people encroaching - the good news is I look even more scary than before, sporting my `corona beard`, so strangers seem happy to give me a wide berth anyway.
1645 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

26th June 2020, 21:26
Tyke

They would not let me in as I am non-essential apparently. But watching on TV, I saw an ex-Blackburn Rovers manager there. I have complained but apparently he is "an iconic figure in the Liverpool community".

I suggested that I was an iconic figure in the crossword community, so should be allowed to attend the next match. But they would not have it, though they have allowed me to renew my season-ticket.

On a serious note, I should like to congratulate all Liverpool fans who follow this thread on their amazing season.
1646 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

26th June 2020, 21:30
Jigjag

Yes I thought it was odd that he was there. His daughter was interviewing the pundits, but surely that cant be the reason.

1647 of 2514  -   Report This Post

chrise

26th June 2020, 21:33
jigjag
I assume you mean Kenny rather than Roy - the latter I met at a school prizegiving, where he gave a very good speech.
1648 of 2514  -   Report This Post

tyke51

26th June 2020, 22:07
Jigjag

Liverpool have had a great season and richly deserve the title. I had to smile when some pundit on the radio spoke of their `long suffering supporters` though !
1649 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

27th June 2020, 14:19
ChrisE

Yes I did mean Kenny. I have always liked Roy who did not have a lot of luck at Liverpool and just one bad match for England.

Tyke

Yes had to laugh at that. I am unsure about Klopp. He has just won his first domestic honour in 4.5 years.
1650 of 2514  -   Report This Post