CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

1st July 2020, 11:35
Jigjag, Grunger

A clue from a live puzzle, so maybe best not to state the answer...

Women who repay fools holding very odd green earth (12).

All sporty pedants...

Over the past week, I've had three or four clues with cricketing references, terms. Each time I just gave a brief 'tsk tsk' and carried on.
1651 of 2514  -   Report This Post

orson

1st July 2020, 12:50
Another favourite topic is mothers-in-law.

It's occurred to me that we if we say: "This is my mother-in-law's house", there is no reason not to talk about two mother-in-laws. We would never say my mother's-in-law house, would we?
1652 of 2514  -   Report This Post

chrise

1st July 2020, 13:38
Another pet hate on Radio3 today:
"You can't underrate the effect on Beethoven of his developing deafness..."
1653 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

1st July 2020, 15:18
malone

Yes there was one in the Times today which I managed to solve. I am sure you did not approve of the Ann Summers/it clue on Monday. Not one of my favourite shops.
1654 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

1st July 2020, 15:28
orson

I talk about my brothers-in-law. if they lived together, I suppose I would say brothers-in-law's house.

chrise

yes the under-rating, under-estimating is irritating.
1655 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

1st July 2020, 17:28
Orsom, Grunger et al.

I enjoyed the mother-in-law stuff, it made me think for a bit. I decided I would never use 'brothers-in-law's house' as it sounds so clunky. I'd probably just use circuitous phrase instead!

Grunger,

I don't do the Times puzzle every day - I don't know whether I missed the Anne S clue, tutted about it, ignored it ….
1656 of 2514  -   Report This Post

paulhabershon

1st July 2020, 21:16
Cricket mentioned. Has this lengthy thread ever covered doing something 'off one's own back'? Seems to be quite common nowadays, but surely it should be a cricket analogy - 'off one's own bat'.
1657 of 2514  -   Report This Post

chrise

1st July 2020, 21:21
paulhabershon
"Off one's own bat" seems so obvious, but it seems that lots of crossworders (and others) disdain cricket. I don't know why - only snooker and F1 are more suitable for falling asleep to!
1658 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

2nd July 2020, 12:46
paulhabershon

Welcome to this thread. Yes the phrase is cricket-related but as with so much in modern sport, a commentator gets it wrong and a lot of sheep follow him. Similar are "Stonewall penalty" instead of "Stone cold" and the absurd "Day One of the Second Test".

By the way are you the great chess player my dad used to play against at Hastings etc?

1659 of 2514  -   Report This Post

paulhabershon

2nd July 2020, 13:36
Thanks, Grunger. I should have added that I have frequently heard 'off (my etc.) own back' rather than seen it written.

I am indeed the chess player, but 'great' only in the sense of lifelong. Am fascinated to know the name of your father.
1660 of 2514  -   Report This Post