CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

 

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jono

31st August 2026, 15:27
…and associating Lulu and smasher implies a setter of a certain age (perhaps).
611 of 667  -   Report This Post

malone

31st August 2026, 15:40
Jono and Bharat, thanks. That clue seemed relatively straightforward - and decently short, not lots of bits joined together!

I've always liked keen, to cry, and greet (Scottish) to cry and ululate, to howl, wail.
612 of 667  -   Report This Post

keepers

31st August 2026, 18:30
Chambers has:

smasher: anything great or extraordinary

lulu: an outstandingly bad or impressive thing or person

So I think the setter was not thinking of the singer Lulu (as Jono might have been suggesting).

And well done, Malone.
613 of 667  -   Report This Post

jono

31st August 2026, 18:43
Keepers, thanks for clarifying, much appreciated.
614 of 667  -   Report This Post

malone

1st September 2026, 06:30
Keepers, I too wondered if Jono was thinking of Lulu the singer, but then hesitated as 'lulu =smasher' is something very, very dated anyway! I've never seen or heard it used, though I wouldn't be surprised to find it in a Miss Marple story, say.
615 of 667  -   Report This Post

jono

1st September 2026, 07:22
Etymology sources suggest the usage is perhaps connected to Lulu Hurst (1869–1950), an American stage performer known as the "Georgia Wonder," whose feats of apparent mysterious physical force made her name synonymous with astonishing spectacles.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lulu_Hurst
616 of 667  -   Report This Post

bharat

1st September 2026, 14:11
Please help me in parsing / solving this cryptic clue -
"In saga involving arson, initially quiet one is charged (11)"
617 of 667  -   Report This Post

xtran

1st September 2026, 14:57
Definition is "In"
618 of 667  -   Report This Post

bharat

1st September 2026, 15:09
Thank you Xtran for the tip. I could get the answer easily now.
619 of 667  -   Report This Post

bharat

5th September 2026, 14:01
Please help me in parsing / solving this cryptic clue -
"Britain, for one, backing a state without a name these days (6,4)"
620 of 667  -   Report This Post