CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

 

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

quisling

15th September 2026, 09:03
Concerning letters is the definition. The “piece” is the key to the clue. Work out what it’s referring to and it’s obvious. It’s not a chess piece
641 of 667  -   Report This Post

bharat

15th September 2026, 09:09
Thank you geting and quisling for the nice parsing. I could get the word. Tough one to analyze especially using a weapon for piece
642 of 667  -   Report This Post

bharat

18th September 2026, 08:34
First Post (Bharat)
Please help me in parsing / solving this cryptic clue -
"Violent doctor upset, say, in extravagant, extremely posh party (7-5)"
643 of 667  -   Report This Post

quisling

18th September 2026, 10:31
The definition is violent. Three letter verb for to doctor and reversal of for example in an anagram of bookends of posh and party
644 of 667  -   Report This Post

malone

18th September 2026, 10:35
Well done, Quisling - but I think it's another flawed clue! I wouldn't say - nor does Chambers - that the answer means 'violent'.
645 of 667  -   Report This Post

quisling

18th September 2026, 10:38
Agreed, Malone! I was going to add I thought it was a poor definition. “Over-eager” or “impulsive” might be a bit nearer the mark
646 of 667  -   Report This Post

malone

18th September 2026, 10:41
Thanks, Quisling. I think the setter is far keener on using all the clue-setting bits (anagrams, 'extremes', reversals and so on) and forgets that the definition itself is crucial!
647 of 667  -   Report This Post

bharat

18th September 2026, 11:31
Thanks Quisling and Malone. You made me happy by triggering my brain. I could get the word.
648 of 667  -   Report This Post

keepers

21st September 2026, 13:48
I welcome help with this clue:

Predator on shore’s picked up fliers (4)

Is "picked up" a homophone or reversal indicator here? If the latter, I have a 4-letter predatory seabird that, when reversed, is the plural of a 3-letter seabird. However, with "picked up" in the middle of the clue, it's ambiguous which word is the solution and which should be reversed.

Of course, I could be missing a more satisfying solution altogether.
649 of 667  -   Report This Post

jono

21st September 2026, 14:29
Curiously the very reversal you refer to appears in today’s Guardian cryptic puzzle at 12a. ‘Predator on shore’ works s as the definition. Picked up as a reversal indicator would imply a down clue.
650 of 667  -   Report This Post