CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

 

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

mattrom

28th August 2026, 17:02
Bharat, Definition is 'standing', financially.
('flow' (4), reversed + 'bank' (3), reversed + 'light'(4), as of body structure) ... all in 'plant', used in salads.
601 of 667  -   Report This Post

malone

28th August 2026, 17:19
Well done, Mattrom!

Bharat, for me this is another one of the less than elegant clues!
602 of 667  -   Report This Post

bharat

28th August 2026, 17:22
Thank you matrom, I got the word. How could you go about parsing such a difficult clue so easily and effortlessly? Hats off to you! Thanks
603 of 667  -   Report This Post

bharat

28th August 2026, 17:30
Yes, I agree with you Malone.
604 of 667  -   Report This Post

malone

28th August 2026, 17:38
Bharat, thanks - I decided the clue was so inelegant that I wasn't going to spend more than one minute on it,and I didn't. I think the setter likes incorporating lots of different crossword elements, and that's quite clever,of course. Unfortunately, the surface reading gets totally neglected,so the final result is often disappointing.
605 of 667  -   Report This Post

bharat

31st August 2026, 14:07
Please help me in parsing / solving this cryptic clue -
"Keen smasher brought about upset (7)"
606 of 667  -   Report This Post

malone

31st August 2026, 14:19
Ululate, keen, cry, verb. Lulu is the smasher, (about - reverse) and Ate is upset (maybe?)
607 of 667  -   Report This Post

malone

31st August 2026, 14:51
I've since checked, Ate = Upset (past tense) is totally fine. Eat, meaning 'upset' is in Chambers.
608 of 667  -   Report This Post

bharat

31st August 2026, 15:25
Thanks malone for taking trouble in confirming your answer. It is very nice of you. Difficult one for me to parse. Thanks for the help.
609 of 667  -   Report This Post

jono

31st August 2026, 15:25
Well deduced, Malone. That meaning of keen is generally a good bet.
610 of 667  -   Report This Post