CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

6th February 2021, 03:10
This week's puzzle is by the ever popular Paul - and what a corker it is.

Unfortunately it's not interactive, which means that, unless you buy the paper or print it out, you'll have have to do what I did and draw the grid by hand. Normally I wouldn't bother but I finished the Listener early so thought - why not? And I'm glad I did.

I did find it very difficult in places and, in fact, I'd say it's actually harder than the aforementioned Listener - which is really quite something!

My first clue solved, as opposed to FOI, was the A clue quickly followed by the L, but it was virtually impossible to figure out where either of them went, so what I did was put all my efforts into solving the two 15 letter clues and, once I did, the grid opened up beautifully.

If you do get stuck, there's a fairly well signposted "initial letters" clue, a "hidden" and also an anagram, though it me an age to spot which letters were in it!

COD - One of the 15 letters is a classic Pauline clue and made me laugh out loud - "brief horrors" indeed šŸ˜‚

There are still a couple I'm not 100% sure about, namely the T and the Z but, in all honesty, I was just glad to eventually stagger over the finishing line.

Thanks to Paul for an very challenging but ultimately rewarding and fun crossword.

If you have as much difficulty as me in trying to cold solve the clues, you only have to post your query on here - there are always Forum members willing to lend a helping hand.

Stay safe:-)
1 of 119  -   Report This Post

brendan

6th February 2021, 03:52
I think I've figured out the wordplay for the T word, so that just leaves Z where, even though I have three of the six letters and there are fewer than a dozen words it could be, I'm still not confident my answer is correct.

I'm also having second thoughts about my D answer and the exact wordplay for the C word is eluding me, even though I'm certain I have the right answer.

I'll have a cup of coffee and see if that can't shake some brain cells free:-)
2 of 119  -   Report This Post

brendan

6th February 2021, 04:01
Oh wow!! I think I've just figured out D - Paul is really putting us through our paces this week šŸ˜œ
3 of 119  -   Report This Post

rogissimo

6th February 2021, 04:36
Hi brendan

ā€˜Crossā€™ is the definition for Z, which is made up of two three-letter parts. Itā€™s not a word Iā€™ve come across before, and the quick solve on this site doesnā€™t give it.

I think I have K from the definition, but canā€™t parse it for the life of me. And I can think of only one word that fits the crossers for D, but canā€™t see how the clue leads to it at all. Maybe I need to sleep on it.
4 of 119  -   Report This Post

brendan

6th February 2021, 04:44
Hi Rogissimo,

Thanks for that, I'll have another look at the Z.

K is a three letter term for "teenager possibly" around/"getting to grips with" five letters for "love" - definition is "horny"

D is an absolute classic, as you'll see when you get you post-night's rest PDM:-)

Paul truly was on great form with this - as was PaulinešŸ˜‰
5 of 119  -   Report This Post

brendan

6th February 2021, 04:54
PS. Rogissimo,

I should have said that the D answer isn't in Chambers but the Free Online dictionary has it and I'm virtually certain you'll have heard it before .............maybe from when you were a childšŸ˜‰
6 of 119  -   Report This Post

jono

6th February 2021, 07:08
Havenā€™t done this yet, but Paul hinted earlier this week that this crossword was inspired by Araucaria and is a tribute to what would have been his one hundredth birthday.
7 of 119  -   Report This Post

brendan

6th February 2021, 07:14
Thanks Jono,

That's good to know - I'm glad the Rev. hasn't been forgotten:-)
8 of 119  -   Report This Post

jono

6th February 2021, 08:11
Iā€™m seeing C as a two letter chemical symbol for a metal followed by a 5 letter word for ā€˜put outā€™ less the u
9 of 119  -   Report This Post

brendan

6th February 2021, 08:17
šŸ‘
10 of 119  -   Report This Post