CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jaffra

4th January 2021, 19:30
Yes, it is a musical term (plural). Your letters are correct.

I too have been doing the Guardian crossword and other crosswords for many decades. Now finding my ancient brain working much more slowly than in the past, but usually succeeding with help from the Forum. Keep trying.
81 of 98  -   Report This Post

silverfox

4th January 2021, 22:10
As suspected. Thank you ChrisE. And thanks to everyone else whose brains I have picked on the forum.
82 of 98  -   Report This Post

richards

6th January 2021, 20:33
Hi Silverfox,
Just thought you should know that you are not the only Tranmere Rovers fan on this forum! As you said it was quite pleasing to see them appear in a crossword clue.
On a more important note, I’m left with 8a to complete. Any help gratefully received.
83 of 98  -   Report This Post

richards

6th January 2021, 20:36
Hi Silverfox,
Just thought you should know that you are not the only Tranmere Rovers fan on this forum! As you said it was quite pleasing to see them appear in a crossword clue.
On a more important note, I’m left with 8a to complete. Any help gratefully received.
84 of 98  -   Report This Post

brendan

6th January 2021, 21:04
Hi Richards,

8a - anagram/"supply" (not a great indicator) + S(ainsbury) - definition is "they vowed"
85 of 98  -   Report This Post

brendan

6th January 2021, 21:09
.....I meant it's an anagram of the first two words + S(ainsbury).

I see Tranmere are sitting around mid-table - not unlike my happy hammers:-)
86 of 98  -   Report This Post

richards

7th January 2021, 08:45
Thanks Brendan.

Got the solution, not heard it used in relation to vows before, more in the context of a spheroid!

Yes - we are happy with mid-table after being “demoted” last season with games left to play!
87 of 98  -   Report This Post

rossim

7th January 2021, 13:41
8a I have an answer in the present tense but vowed is in the past.
Is it just a poor clue or am I missing something?
88 of 98  -   Report This Post

chrise

7th January 2021, 13:51
i think they would have vowed before becoming...., so past seems ok? (i remember from a popular series of medieval books that the only took that vow once, so it would have to be in the past
89 of 98  -   Report This Post

chrise

8th January 2021, 12:28
Hi rossim
It occurred to me much later where the problem might lie. The solution is a plural noun, not a verb.
90 of 98  -   Report This Post