CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

silverfox

4th January 2021, 17:29
Hello,
Like Roof, I came late to this and struggled (as usual). Got the anagram at the bottom fairly easily and then was so delighted to see my footie team, Tranmere, referenced that I set too, determined to finish. Alas, just like Rovers, I have fallen short. I am still to get 1, 13 for which I have _ _A_O_R/OF/_ _ _ _ H or 7d. I thought the latter was an anagram or artist but now have _R_W_R for the second word. So, that's out. The first word I have only _ _ _T_ _. A hopeless effort, I'm afraid. Relegation threatens.
71 of 98  -   Report This Post

chrise

4th January 2021, 17:39
Hi silverfox
You've missed a 3 letter word out of 1,13, but all your other letters are right. It's an allusion rather than a cryptic definition!
7d The first 2 words give the 2 words in the answer separately (the first a bit cheekily!) Definition (material) preparation for marriage. Letters again correct.
72 of 98  -   Report This Post

silverfox

4th January 2021, 18:15
Thanks ChrisE
As you say, I missed the three letter word out, which I took to be THE.
I have now got 7dn and, as is usually the way, could kick myself for not seeing it earlier. My excuse, if any, is that is 52 years since my own marriage and my other half certainly didn't have one of these as we met and married in a few months. Still struggling with 1,13 but think I may have used the last word in my previous sentence.
73 of 98  -   Report This Post

silverfox

4th January 2021, 18:17
Ah, just got it.
74 of 98  -   Report This Post

jaffra

4th January 2021, 18:20
Hi Silverfox

It may be a disappointment to you, but the reference to Tranmere Rovers is a complete red herring. It confused me for a long time, thinking it was relevant. In fact it could have been Wycombe Wanderers, for example, or any other combination of words with something in common with those two.
75 of 98  -   Report This Post

silverfox

4th January 2021, 18:49
Yes, I realised that fairly quickly but was still pleasantly surprised to see Rovers mentioned in a crossword puzzle. I've been struggling with crosswords for most of my fairly long adult life and never seen them referenced before. Most people have never heard of the team and, if they have, wonder where they come from. As for them being relevant, I live in hope.
76 of 98  -   Report This Post

silverfox

4th January 2021, 19:20
Down to the last one, 12ac. I think I have the answer but cannot parse it. Any clues gratefully received. Movements of American singer unknown. I have S_H_R_I. Is the definition movements?
77 of 98  -   Report This Post

chrise

4th January 2021, 19:22
yes, in a musical sense
78 of 98  -   Report This Post

silverfox

4th January 2021, 19:26
Thank you ChrisE. I'm sure I have the right answer but still not sure how I got there but suspect a female US pop singer of a certain vintage may be involved.
79 of 98  -   Report This Post

chrise

4th January 2021, 19:28
yes, with an "unknown" and IS backwards
80 of 98  -   Report This Post