CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

cymro

2nd January 2021, 16:44
4D. Definition is bombs meaning hurries. It’s backwards in the clue.
16A The parsing is a bit tricky: common two letter abbreviation for a sport + three letter word for tease minus its last letter + five letter girl’s name.
51 of 98  -   Report This Post

abicoop

2nd January 2021, 16:51
Haha Jono!

Thanks for the hints, all finished now!
52 of 98  -   Report This Post

hkwstuck

2nd January 2021, 18:02
Hi I needed all your hints today to help! Still stuck on 1 down - any hints would be welcome -thanks
53 of 98  -   Report This Post

hkwstuck

2nd January 2021, 18:04
I have just got it!
54 of 98  -   Report This Post

chrise

2nd January 2021, 18:04
Not entirely confident with my answer, but I suspect the second word is "Shut up" as one might do to animals. First word definition is more than a bit loose!
55 of 98  -   Report This Post

lucygordon

2nd January 2021, 21:33
Phew, that took all day and relied on lots of hints to finish - thanks all. Like several others 11a a favourite but I still can't fully parse 25a even with Snowwhite's Nancy Mitford clue. If anyone has the energy left to illuminate me I'd be grateful but understand if not after today's slog!
56 of 98  -   Report This Post

brendan

2nd January 2021, 21:39
Hi Lucy,

25a - 4 letter word meaning "can't stand" inside 2 letters for "around" + the last letter is a single letter meaning "posh" as coined by Nancy (Mitford) - thanks to poster Snowwhite for that:-)
57 of 98  -   Report This Post

rossim

2nd January 2021, 23:39
25a I took Nancy as the French city!
58 of 98  -   Report This Post

brendan

2nd January 2021, 23:48
Hi Rossim,

I originally thought the same thing but, if that is the case, then "posh" is in the wrong place as it comes after "Nancy" which doesn't make sense. U for "posh" is such a common occurrence in cryptics but I never knew the origin until Snowwhite pointed out that the term was coined by Nancy Mitford (another family that crops up with some frequency). The fact that Nancy is also often used to denote a French answer is doubly confusing!
59 of 98  -   Report This Post

buddy

2nd January 2021, 23:56
"Nancy's posh" is both part of the wordplay, and part of the definition ("residence" is too vague to be a good definition of the answer, "Nancy's posh residence" is more precise).
60 of 98  -   Report This Post