CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jono

3rd January 2021, 00:07
I think you’re right Buddy. During the course of today this has been a clue I’ve struggled with, given up on, thought I had it, then realised I didn’t, was then shown some light, then an haha moment and now I’m coming to think I like it! I’ll see how I feel in the morning, it’s exhausting ;-)
61 of 98  -   Report This Post

roof

3rd January 2021, 00:21
Hi Brendan

As usual I started very late and only got two answers on first read through. I've only just finished reading all the entries on the Forum and that has got me a few more, but still lots to do, including 1ac,13ac, though I think I've guessed the latter.

I'm feeling very stupid. Is it brain fog, or the strong Codeine I've been prescribed for the continuing pain in my hand?

Perhaps I can have some hints for couple of down clues. They may have received hints already, but not enough for me get them.

how about 14ac Rate working for police? Coppers quietly resigning (9) I've only got I???????E, but using most of the crossers given above somewhere, I now think I have the answer. Is the definition the first word?
15d Attic maybe calls for conversion, like this one inside (9)
I have C?????C?. I gather that the definition is the first word. Is it the name of a mythical figure?

2d Guide to China's ancient city (7)
I have A???O?H. I can't parse the only word that fits, so have I got the right crossers?

As you can see I've still got lots to do and it's past my bed time. The cat has already given up and gone to bed without me!

62 of 98  -   Report This Post

brendan

3rd January 2021, 00:32
Hi Roof,

Sorry to hear your hand is still hurting, let's hope the Codeine does the trick:-)

14a - Yes, definition is "rate" as in 'frequency of occurrence' - the first 5 letters are split 2,3 from "working for police" ( a specific unit) + "coppers" as in money/change minus its first letter/"quietly resigning".

15d - Yes, definition is "attic" as in a type of architecture - 3 letter Latin term for "like this"/so/thus + A for "one" surrounded by an anagram/"maybe" of "calls".

2d - Is a straight anagram - definition is "ancient city".
63 of 98  -   Report This Post

lucygordon

3rd January 2021, 01:05
Ah, thanks Brendan - I completely missed that abbreviation. I'll sleep better tonight without it going round my head!
64 of 98  -   Report This Post

jaffra

3rd January 2021, 20:10
Arriving late as usual, I needed help with the last few, most now done. But still not got 21A, 17 and 22D.

I disagree with some of the comments about 25A. I got the Mitford reference and the U immediately, but did not know where to put the U. When 10D gave me that, the rest fell into place. The answer is a perfectly good synonym for residence, without any qualification. Can't stand gives letters two to five, with two common letters for around or about outside, followed by the U. I don't think Nancy Mitford ever owned or lived in a c.....u, so the linking of "posh" with the definition is irrelevant.
65 of 98  -   Report This Post

chrise

3rd January 2021, 20:14
Do you want hints, jaffra?
66 of 98  -   Report This Post

jaffra

3rd January 2021, 22:36
Yes, please.
67 of 98  -   Report This Post

roof

4th January 2021, 00:19
Hi Brendan

I'm afraid I gave up yesterday, but finished it off today courtesy of my friend in Sheffield.

Many thanks for your help and others. I'm hoping next wee its a bit easier or my head is more in tune with the setter's.
68 of 98  -   Report This Post

chrise

4th January 2021, 08:03
Hi jaffra
Sorry - went to bed before you responded!
21 two word expression for "used to be sexy" around a single textspeak letter
17 features an event for men only
22 is to do with a fork
69 of 98  -   Report This Post

jaffra

4th January 2021, 14:45
Thanks, again, Chris. Despite it being long past my bedtime, I went back to it, solved 24D, and the rest followed. Sorry to have bothered you, for what now seems obvious.
70 of 98  -   Report This Post