CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

wolfpanther

6th December 2020, 00:20
I’ve only just started on the Guardian crosswords, having previously had experience with a number of Australian newspapers I’ve found them a bit tricky to get it into but this is my first go at a Prize and I think I got there eventually.
4d was difficult because I had the wrong ending on 13a, was OK once I got that fixed.
After that I had two overlapping pairs causing trouble.
For 29a and 19d I resorted to a crossword solver so I could get it out of the way and get on with my life, for 29 my problem was that I got fixated on a word for “break” that turned out to not be involved at all. The solution is a bit obscure for me but I should have remembered my Tolkien, then 19d was OK but took a little while to parse.
That left 1d and 9a. I had long had an answer for 9a but couldn’t parse it and couldn’t find a compatible 1d. The crossword solver gave me a compatible answer for 1d which was a completely new word for me so I had no hope otherwise, but still have no idea how to parse what I’m sure must be the right answer for 9a.
81 of 91  -   Report This Post

jono

6th December 2020, 00:36
Hi wp, welcome to the world of Guardian crosswords! 9a is a two letter abbreviation for a sport (most definitely played in Australia) inside a word for setting (in the cookery sense?) ;)
82 of 91  -   Report This Post

mystogre

6th December 2020, 00:53
Hi wp. 1d is a citrus fruit definitely known in your country. Jono is right with 9a - draw last night.
83 of 91  -   Report This Post

mattrom

6th December 2020, 01:13
In Sydney, I'd only seen 1d. called by a name starting with T, before I saw this 4-letter one in crosswords.
It's interesting how words develop.

84 of 91  -   Report This Post

wolfpanther

6th December 2020, 01:27
Thankyou, I now can see how 9a works. I'm currently in Adelaide where that sport is less common but originally from Sydney so I should have thought of it! The problem was that I hadn't considered that it might be an abbreviation.
As for the fruit, I've only encountered it by the alternative name starting with T, so that one is definitely new to me.
85 of 91  -   Report This Post

nodrog

6th December 2020, 13:48
More than a day later and still bothered with the parsing of 4d I've finally realised how to make it work - at least to my satisfaction - by assuming that "like 23" in the clue is a typo and should read "like 3".

Ordering "in a way, like 3" I interpret as non-consecutive letters.
86 of 91  -   Report This Post

jono

6th December 2020, 14:20
Nodrog,
If you think of 3 as a system of ‘ordering’, then both 4 and 23 share this same property, which is not common
87 of 91  -   Report This Post

hkwstuck

6th December 2020, 16:19
Hi thanks to all your comments I now have 4d. I also had the last letter wrong in 13across. My last one is 13d. Any hints would be appreciated. thanks!
88 of 91  -   Report This Post

jono

6th December 2020, 16:30
It’s a reversal. And abc in the musical sense
89 of 91  -   Report This Post

hkwstuck

6th December 2020, 16:36
Ahh yes - got it now - thank you!
90 of 91  -   Report This Post