CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

lucertola

5th December 2020, 08:08
Thanks again, Femmenoire. 22a sorted!
31 of 91  -   Report This Post

luko

5th December 2020, 08:23
An interesting mix this week - I was taken aback by Brendan's DNF, and thought 'what chance have I got' but found I had some of the ones Brendan struggled with!
FOI was 9A (I tend to start in the very obvious order) but it's also almost LOI because I cannot parse it at all.
COD (so far) is a good-up between 24A and (thanks to Mattrom's insight) 24D.
I'm sure I've seen the 13A/19A pairing before but years ago (head full of learned lumber)
Apart from the parsing of 9A, I'm stuck in the SE with 22D, 27D and 29A competing slowly for LOI
32 of 91  -   Report This Post

lucertola

5th December 2020, 08:28
A huge THANK YOU to everyone who has posted here. I can't believe I have solved all the clues with the various little prods you've given. I can now have my breakfast!
33 of 91  -   Report This Post

luko

5th December 2020, 08:41
A 'typing point' cascade of PDMs and I've got the SE trio. Misled by the 'In' at the start of 22D to expect (and misquote) 'he that is second shall be last', but everyday got there. Now if only I understood why my reckless 9A guess was right!
Many thanks to the community here for turning what had become a solitary pastime (attrition of crossword-solving friends due to retirement and some sad losses over the years) back into a (distanced) social activity
34 of 91  -   Report This Post

richardk

5th December 2020, 09:16
Even with the myriad pointers here I’m still none the wiser with 4d, 6d and 12ac.

6d there’s a Greek letter that fits but has zero parsing. 12ac I learn from this thread isn’t mathematical as the mention of 14ac in the clue might allude to. Second word looks like it can only be one of two.
4d, I can see something specific about the order of the letters in 23d but from the currently 222 possible words on the “solver” on this website, I cannot find a word which would describe that, and also be a diagnostic instrument.

24d I can only see the jocular phrase referring to the use of one’s grey matter, completely unfamiliar with typesetting.

28ac a contender for COD (so far!). 24ac also raised a smile.

I’ll go and jump in the shower. I don’t know what it is about application of water to head, but it almost always unlocks something.
35 of 91  -   Report This Post

richardk

5th December 2020, 09:18
Ahh, I see the typesetting meaning for 24d now.
36 of 91  -   Report This Post

richardk

5th December 2020, 09:22
Typical! Got 12ac! Clever clue.
37 of 91  -   Report This Post

richardk

5th December 2020, 09:38
The shower worked. 6d in. Another cracking clue.
38 of 91  -   Report This Post

abicoop

5th December 2020, 10:15
I'm quite glad it's trickier this week, fills more of a wet December's day! First one in was 19a (I never start at the start, can't do anything "normally"), very much enjoyed 24a and I like the overall 3d theme. The hints in this thread have helped me, but I still have a few in the SW I'm stuck on - 19d, 24d and 28a so would appreciate any pointers for those. Ta
39 of 91  -   Report This Post

cymro

5th December 2020, 10:24
28A usually has a skimpy piece of swimwear in front of it.
40 of 91  -   Report This Post