CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

geeker

5th December 2020, 02:24
Brendan, there's no letter I involved in 6 (or 12). For 6, just write out I as a (key thematic word from last week's Prize).
11 of 91  -   Report This Post

brendan

5th December 2020, 02:30
Yeah, thanks Geeker, I've got it - I just got completely sidetracked trying to get a 'fuller' version of 10 to fit.

Still no idea for 4d - Literally 8 words fit my letter pattern and I still can't get it!
12 of 91  -   Report This Post

brendan

5th December 2020, 02:47
Actually, I'm still not happy with 6d - there's no way that the first letter can be defined as "counterpart to 10" it just can't - if it is, then why not any letter?
13 of 91  -   Report This Post

geeker

5th December 2020, 02:58
Brendan, first letter of 6 is: Counterpart of (solution to 10 in the grid) in a more familiar (first 8 letters of solution to 3 in the grid).
14 of 91  -   Report This Post

brendan

5th December 2020, 03:05
Yep, I understand all that and I'm satisfied I have the right answer but I just think it's way too vague - there are several "counterparts to 10" - where is the instruction that it's this particular one?
15 of 91  -   Report This Post

geeker

5th December 2020, 03:20
Brendan, unambiguous to me...I've always interpreted it as "final one in the series", as in the Biblical quote "I am the [redacted] and the 10 - the beginning and the end".
16 of 91  -   Report This Post

brendan

5th December 2020, 03:27
I'm sure you've parsed it correctly Geeker - 10a is the "last in series" and so the first letter of 6d is also the last ...... being a "counterpart to 10".

I just had a shower hoping it would give me fresh impetus to solve 4d but alas..... - any thoughts?
17 of 91  -   Report This Post

simius

5th December 2020, 03:40
Brendan, 3d indicates how the letters in 4d are ordered like those in 23d.
18 of 91  -   Report This Post

brendan

5th December 2020, 03:46
Hi Simius,

So, do you think the definition is the "surgical procedure"/"diagnostic aid" I referred to earlier - with the letters all in 3d order?

PS. Welcome if this is your first post:-)
19 of 91  -   Report This Post

femmenoire

5th December 2020, 03:52
Brendan I’m also stuck on 4d. I have no idea what type of thing 12a might be.

24a made me exclaim out loud that it was “such a clever clue”!

My clue of the day (unless one of the two unsolved clues above usurp it) is the beautifully constructed 29a, which reminds me of Winnie The Pooh, and the concept of this thing is so British and in general a really good idea.

I enjoy reading the posts on this forum and appreciate the hints.
20 of 91  -   Report This Post