CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

5th December 2020, 01:35
Well, it had to happen - my first DNF - I think!🥵

Strangely though, it all started so well.

My FOI was 1d which I've seen variations of before. That was quickly followed by 11a which, if you've got 1d, is a virtual write-in.

It was clear there was some sort of theme regarding letters but it wasn't until I got the oft referenced 3d, that I sort of figured out what was going on.

If you do get stuck you might try the aforementioned 3d, 14a and the world's most famous "tragic partners" in 2d and 26a.

I incorrectly entered 15d which held me up for a good half-hour before I realised my typo.

That just left the NE corner where to date I've only got 5d, 7d, 10a and 14a.

I've stared at the other clues, namely 4d, 6d, 8d and 12a for so long now I'm seeing double. 6d references 10a, which I've got and I can see something that fits, but I can't justify the middle 2 letters - plus it makes the letter pattern in 12a even more obscure!

Oh well - I'll soldier on and hope for that elusive Penny Drop Moment (PDM)

Thanks to Brendan for a challenging crossword.

If you have as much difficulty as me with the NE corner, or other clues, don't hesitate to ask for a hint - or answer a query if you can. It's great to see so many new solvers joining in our friendly Forum each week.

Stay safe:-)
1 of 91  -   Report This Post

brendan

5th December 2020, 01:40
Just got 12a but it hasn't, as yet, unlocked the others - I can see answers for them all but unless I can parse them I don't want to put them in - frustrating!
2 of 91  -   Report This Post

brendan

5th December 2020, 01:49
....and 8d has finally dawned - that just leaves 4d where there are fewer than 10 words with the letter pattern I have but, although I can see a surgical procedure that is.......sort of! a "diagnostic aid" I can't see how that would be it, and 6d where there is an obvious word meaning "area" but, again, why "counterpart of 10" and what part would the "I" in the clue play?
3 of 91  -   Report This Post

geeker

5th December 2020, 02:02
Hi Brendan,

I started out quickly, a little over half of the grid was basically write-in, but it then slowed dramatically. 1 was also my FOI. Still struggling with 24d and (especially) 8. Have a plausible guess on 24d; my answer to 8 fits the guessed definition but I can't parse.
Thanks to your namesake for a deceptively tricky Prize.
4 of 91  -   Report This Post

geeker

5th December 2020, 02:05
Brendan, 6 parses as (counterpart of clue 10 in another ...truncated clue 3...trying to avoid spoilers) plus (standard crossword alternate for I).
5 of 91  -   Report This Post

brendan

5th December 2020, 02:11
Hi Geeker,

So it's not just me then:-)

8d - I have it as a double definition - "A, B or C perhaps" as in exam grades and also a "book" similar to the one mentioned in 23d.

24d - my answer is a word meaning "clue" but I'm not convinced, not least because I don't see how it "was used when setting" - unless Brendan literally used a ??? pe.... to write to clues? Actually, now I see my thought process written out like this I'm even less sure!
6 of 91  -   Report This Post

mattrom

5th December 2020, 02:14
Hi Geeker and Brendan, 24d could relate to type setting.
7 of 91  -   Report This Post

geeker

5th December 2020, 02:15
Brendan,
Sorry, I mistyped. Got 8 with no problem, I meant 4 as the impenetrable one! Still unclear. Not happy with my answer to 24, though I found a distant justification via Google.
8 of 91  -   Report This Post

brendan

5th December 2020, 02:18
6d - then maybe I've got 12a wrong because there's no way an "I" can go with the letters I have - but I'm 99% sure of my 12a so.....
9 of 91  -   Report This Post

brendan

5th December 2020, 02:21
Hi Mattrom,

Yep, that could be it making it a double definition.
10 of 91  -   Report This Post