CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jigjag

18th August 2020, 13:27
tonta

I read that Covid deaths have reduced. I know Lazarus did it but how did this happen?
1741 of 2514  -   Report This Post

orson

18th August 2020, 14:44
I don't like arguing but I have to disagree with tonta and grunger. See what I have written on the Transitive v intransitive verbs thread.

Chambers gives "derail" as an intransitive verb (as well as a transitive one) and explains it as "to go off the rails".

So the train goes off the rails. The train derails. Two ways of saying the same thing.
1742 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

18th August 2020, 15:17
Orson

That is interesting. I dont go by dictionaries but by what sounds right. To me a train cannot de-rail, it is de-railed by something, so "was de-railed" and "has been de-railed" are correct. I suppose if Chambers says it is Ok, I cannot complain, but I dont like it.

Malone

I am delighted to see from another thread that you are back, and I am very pleased to see you, although we disagree on this point.
1743 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

18th August 2020, 15:29
Grunger

Thanks, it's good to hear other people's views. I think English is a wonderfully rich, wonderfully varied language, but not all usages will please all of the people! I try to abide by the dictionaries, but I don't always like what I read - this usually applies when I've been wrong. That last refers to my homophone research ... several times I've had my worst fears confirmed by Chambers giving the same pronunciation to words I class as being different.
1744 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

18th August 2020, 16:16
Malone

Also delighted you are back. Like grunger, I wont be guided by dictionaries but have to, reluctantly, accept them.
1745 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

18th August 2020, 16:20
Jigjag

Thanks, but I'm not really 'back', I haven't been away! Being 'guided by the dictionaries' means that I am less likely to class things as 'wrong' when they're basically just unwanted and unloved!
1746 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

18th August 2020, 16:50
Malone

I like that. "Correct but unwanted and unloved"
1747 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

18th August 2020, 16:54
Thanks, Jigjag. I'm going through a phase just now, a phase of coining phrases. 'Guided by the dictionaries' and 'Correct but unwanted and unloved' could be the start of many....
1748 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

18th August 2020, 17:11
Malone

Yes and I hope they appear in the next edition of Chambers as they will be in common use by then!
1749 of 2514  -   Report This Post

tyke51

18th August 2020, 19:08
Grunger Jigjag Malone et al

I like your 'Correct but unwanted and unloved' Malone ... perhaps `char` `pi` and `it`, so beloved by setters, (but nowadays rarely spotted apart from in crossword puzzles) should be in this category. I`m sure members can add to the `CBUAU`list.
1750 of 2514  -   Report This Post