CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

17th December 2019, 14:46
Tyke, I am 100% definitely NOT a lady, and I abhor the use of the word when there's a perfectly valid alternative, 'woman'. If I had a real title, I would reconsider.

PS As you'll have gathered, it's one of my (many, many) pet hates!
1111 of 2514  -   Report This Post

tyke51

17th December 2019, 15:39
Malone

I`ve had a lot of fun posting on PU and reading other comments but, since I don`t seek confrontation, this is my last post.
1112 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

17th December 2019, 16:14
jigjag

I think you might be "regular" rather than the others.

We pronounce it mo-gee-toe here. Avoids Spanish pronunciation and flies.
1113 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

17th December 2019, 16:29
Rosalind

I have just returned from M&S. I found Isla and asked if she had any asparagus tips. "Certainly" she replied:

Tip 1 - Always buy it in season.
Tip 2 - As it is not in season at present, why not try our chocolate-covered asparagus - much nicer than the sprouts.

I thanked her for the advice and told her that I had been ticked off for using words like gryllidae and diptera.

"No problem. Do you need any more assistance today."

I told her that I had come in to buy some butterfly cakes.

"Of course. I will take you to the lepidoptera department" she chuckled.

1114 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

17th December 2019, 16:32
grunger

I am indeed regular, but not in the sense you mean. My mother used to give us syrup of figs to make us so.
1115 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

17th December 2019, 16:57
Tyke,

We pedants need to stick together, to continue the good fight - but there will obviously be subjects, usages that we don't agree on, care about or are remotely interested in. Jigjag, Grunger and I have totally divergent views on Ms and Mrs, but we don't let that affect our day-to-day interaction. I'd miss your interesting, funny comments so hope you will return.
1116 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

17th December 2019, 17:08
Jigjag

Thanks for the latest instalment of 'Rolling In The Aisles (Of Marks and Spencer)'. I could have saved you a lot of trouble - my asparagus tip would simply be 'don't bother, have beans, tomatoes, quinoa, virtually anything else instead'.

The influence of 'I'm A Celebrity...' seems to be infiltrating our thread - people eating crickets and worms … and now maybe even butterflies. I'm off to make dinner now … toad in the hole.

1117 of 2514  -   Report This Post

rosalind

17th December 2019, 18:04
Jigjag

I'm very impressed you know about butterfly cakes. I've given up cake for Christmas but I notice a friend likes Red Velvet Cake. Well, if you want to eat a tablecloth....

How were the toads, malone? My son refers to his children as toads, which I always thought somewhat unfair. My garden toad (Bufo bufo) is not beautiful but is very , very quiet. The children are somewhat the reverse.

1118 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

17th December 2019, 18:22
Rosalind

The toads were lovely, thanks very much. I am sure your son's 'toads' reference is merely jocular, affectionate... the eternal optimist, that's me. I have never seen a real toad, thank goodness.

Why have you given up cake for Christmas? Is it another (yet another) religious convention that I know nothing about, or have you just decided to end the year on a healthy note? Lemon Drizzle Cake is a better option than Red Velvet Cake - the former at least has a little nod to fulfilling the 5-a-day requirements. (Carrot cake is equally virtuous, of course.)
1119 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

17th December 2019, 19:12
tyke

I must have missed something but please don't leave us. We would miss your humour and football and cricket comments etc.

1120 of 2514  -   Report This Post