CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

10th December 2019, 16:19
Thanks, Tyke, Rosalind and ChrisE.

I've been too busy trying to ignore Christmas to keep an eye on apostrophes, grammar, clunky sentences etc.
1061 of 2514  -   Report This Post

orson

11th December 2019, 12:10
From today's Daily Telegraph cryptic:

Iron brace fixed without carbon, like a hang-glider must be (7)

I don't like "like" used as a conjunction, although it's very common these days and I see it often in The Times. "As" would correct.
1062 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

11th December 2019, 15:13
Malone

I heard a review of your book on the radio this morning - "Tales from the Seven Seas". I thought it would be a swashbuckling adventure about cocky coxswains and boozy bosuns pursuing pursers around flipping fo'c's'les. But apparently it was;

Cryptic Crossword Clues Can't Confuse Clever Cruciverbalists

Not bloodthirsty but very interesting.
1063 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

11th December 2019, 15:18
orson

I don't like like either. Also don't like "I was like.............." used by youngsters and the like.

Even worse is "I was happy, like"

1064 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

11th December 2019, 15:33
jigjag

I heard the book review too. I have asked for it as a Christmas present.
1065 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

11th December 2019, 15:39
Orson and Grunger

I too - like most right-thinking people - hate the use and spread of 'like'. I've just inadvertently clicked on the first page of this thread - and Rossim's post there referred to the same topic. That was on 30th January - almost a year later, we're still, like, finding ourselves irritated by uses like that.

Jigjag

Glad you're showing such a keen interest in my book. I'm sure you weren't too disappointed to miss out on sailing stuff - checking the apostrophes were all in the right places would have disrupted the rhythm of your reading. The 'correct' title seems a little … cumbersome, clunky, charmless...
1066 of 2514  -   Report This Post

leapy

12th December 2019, 09:52
Has anyone noticed the growing use of SO. Asked a question, the trendy young things reply "So, I was like on the bus" etc. Celeb's are now joining the ranks, or maybe they started it.
1067 of 2514  -   Report This Post

orson

12th December 2019, 10:51
One cannot but help notice it, Leapy. I often listen to You and Yours on Radio 4 in which various people are interviewed and they often begin each response with that word. And yet these people have been chosen to go on radio because they're good at speaking, I presume.
1068 of 2514  -   Report This Post

tyke51

12th December 2019, 12:22
Leapy & Orson

I also listen to Radio 4 a lot - if the person being interviewed starts with a `So` I immediately expect them to spout a load of rubbish ... I`m rarely disappointed !
1069 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

12th December 2019, 14:50
My copy of the Times was not delivered today. Could anybody please e-mail the Crossword to me doris@downingst.co.uk

But please be quick - I am moving tomorrow.

1070 of 2514  -   Report This Post