CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

grunger

14th December 2019, 19:47
jigjag

Thanks for the entertaining report. I am fed-up too. But at least my pie-eating MP Lisa Nandos got re-elected. I see the Red Wall started crumbling in your North Wales seats and spread across to the East Coast. Apparently Lisa is a serious contender to be the next leader.

I think Ivor Berger is right that Farage will re-emerge in some form (if not re-form). I suppose he is charismatic and several parties might bid for him. He will demand a large transfer fee I imagine.

I bet your greengrocer friend is delighted. Are you going to see him?
1081 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

14th December 2019, 19:57
Malone

No I didn't imagine the football cards calendar - my son came home with one and I was amazed that they existed. I have not got much of an imagination so I would never have thought of that.

I was horrified to read your Christmas Eve Boxes report. That seems to have passed me by , I am glad to say. What a nightmare! I know some countries e.g. Norway do presents on Christmas Eve, but that is instead of Christmas Day. To have to do it twice is completely unacceptable.
1082 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

14th December 2019, 20:15
Jigjag,

Thanks. I must apologise, it was the 'five [cards] a day' you were wondering about, not the calendar itself.

The Christmas Eve boxes started a year, maybe two years ago, but it has grown. This year I have seen the (unfilled) boxes in an sorts of stores - in B and M, there was a choice of about a dozen. (I can't give you details on the various varieties, styles, characters, I was too busy recoiling in horror!)

1083 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

16th December 2019, 12:01
Malone

I am glad you alerted me to the depressing "empty box" scandal. It has given me an idea. I have just finished a large box of chocolates and rather than throwing the box away, I could give it to the lady in my life as a Christmas present. She likes receiving chocolates but says they are not good for her, so it seems a perfect solution. I will wrap it in expensive paper of course.

Similarly, I usually buy a friend six cans of beer. He drinks too much, so I might consume the contents and give him the empty cans.

I have been thinking what to get Grunger this year. I believe you can buy empty pastry cases. Surely that will be better for her than with the fillings she uses.

I am sure these presents will be well-received.

1084 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

16th December 2019, 13:56
Jigjag

While I was initially impressed with the inventiveness of your basic idea, anyone who gave me an empty box of chocolates would feel the full wrath of my tongue. I also wouldn't appreciate you wasting good money on expensive paper - that money could buy some chocolate.

The empty pastry cases does seem a reasonable suggestion. I'd make sure you bought one each of savoury and sweet cases, then Grunger can let her imagination run wild when it comes to fillings. Brussels sprouts with brandy butter is one suggestion - quite a versatile one really, as the filling suits both sweet and savoury pastry cases.
1085 of 2514  -   Report This Post

rosalind

16th December 2019, 15:00
A friend gave me a Japanese advent calender- so far the pictures (and that's all that is behind the little doors, thank goodness) show either twee animals, the odd flower, or male faces (3). One of them looks as if he is in the Floating World -or found an excellent sex toy- one looks bored (maybe ditto) and the third has a face covered with red stripes. I am not sure what to make of this. Has he walked into freshly-painted railings?

Pyjamas are about acceptable- but in one part of my family the boxes contain onesies!!!???!!! No way am I ever going to wear one of those, unless that's what they bury you in these days (paper, of course).
1086 of 2514  -   Report This Post

rosalind

16th December 2019, 15:04
P.S Tescos and some catalogues (at literally more than twice the price plus postage) have some excellent chocolate truffles designed to look like - and actually do- sprouts. can't wait to see the looks on my sons' faces (I hope that apostrophe is right, there are two of them. The sons, that is.)
Now, choc sprouts with brandy butter...... slimmingworld.com
1087 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

16th December 2019, 15:12
Rosalind

When I rule the world, onesies - the garment and the word itself - will be eradicated, wiped off the face of the earth, never to be seen again.

The Japanese calendar sounds … vaguely interesting, in so much as it's a little different.

I've seen the chocolate 'sprouts' - some tiny, dinky ones, some ordinary-sized ones. Last year I saw a board game that revolved around sprouts, a dozen chocolate ones. Eleven of them were chocolate and chocolate only, the twelfth was 'Brussels sprout flavoured chocolate'. The loser (definitely not the winner) had to eat the exotic/revolting one.
1088 of 2514  -   Report This Post

rosalind

16th December 2019, 15:52
malone

Sorry if the O word caused Offence (!)

This could develop into a new game- If I ruled the world....

There would be no caravans or motor bikes ( OK, I'm ducking).
No-one would be allowed to call someone or millions of someones stupid or ignorant for voting/thinking differently and
There would be free asparagus for everyone.
1089 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

16th December 2019, 16:41
Rosalind

I now feel overly arrogant - I opted for 'when I rule the world', whereas you're going for 'if I ruled the world'. I don't mind you banning caravans and motor bikes as they're things I seldom see (and which never inconvenience me). I too would be happy to ban calling someone 'stupid' or 'ignorant' for voting or thinking differently. I'll have to pass on the free asparagus, I've never liked the stuff.
1090 of 2514  -   Report This Post