CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jigjag

23rd November 2019, 20:44
Malone and Tyke

That's a nice NY idea. I don't think I have come across a "yorker" clue before.

It has cheered me up after a distressing afternoon at Goodison Park.
1021 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

23rd November 2019, 21:21
Malone, Tyke

I had a spare hour this morning, before going to Goodison Park, so I went to the market to see the Cockney greengrocer, Ivan Napple. I asked if he was enjoying the build-up to the election, and if his famous customer J R-M had been in.

“I was very disappointed in him. I heard he had been lying in Parliament” he answered.

“Yes, I suppose he did, but it was not the “lying” you’re thinking of”, I said.

“And then he said he would lie in a ditch”, but he didn’t, so that was another lie.”

“It was actually DIE in a ditch, but that wasn’t him anyway.”

“And what about that pro rogue in Parliament. They’re all professional rogues if you ask me. But at least they will all be gone after the election.”

“I’m afraid about 90% of them will be back”, I said ruefully.

“Anyway, what about you?” asked Ivan.

“I just want to get breakfast done”. I smiled and headed for the café.
1022 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

23rd November 2019, 21:38
Jigjag

Glad you liked the NY clue. I realised later that I'd only assumed it was a cricket term - it could have been from many of the other sports that don't interest me!

Thanks for the report on your outing. Poor you - politics before breakfast, what an unpalatable start to the day!. Still, it's good to hear that your fruit and veg friend is showing an interest in currant events ...oops, current events.

1023 of 2514  -   Report This Post

chrise

23rd November 2019, 21:43
Fear not, malone - I'm pretty sure that it's a term only used in cricket.

You wouldn't have liked this Guardian one, from a few days ago:

Old batting hero may prefer to open after duck between centuries (7)
1024 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

23rd November 2019, 21:50
ChrisE, thanks for your post - but not for the clue, that was a real stinker. (I didn't solve it, I looked it up online - without even the merest hint of guilt). I would never have got it … well, I suppose crossing letters might have helped.
1025 of 2514  -   Report This Post

tyke51

23rd November 2019, 22:51
Chrise

Just got it ... don`t suppose the modern `bald` look has done much for Brylcreem sales!
1026 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

25th November 2019, 20:01
ChriseE

Thanks for the lovely cricket clue. Nice that it involved 2 different centuries.

Malone

Glad you enjoyed the report. Currant events - I like it
1027 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

25th November 2019, 20:07
Jigjag

I have just read your market report - a very good summary of recent political events. I am glad I am not standing in this election.

Did anything of interest happen in the market cafe?
1028 of 2514  -   Report This Post

tyke51

28th November 2019, 19:15
Jigjag & Grunger

The only (unintended) good thing about the new`Hundred`competition is that the big Counties are being forced to play more fixtures at their outgrounds.
Lancs playing Yorks at Scarbados (start 14th June) is sure to attract a large crowd - I`ve already booked my usual Hotel for both 4-day games at Scarb, plus our away game at Cheltenham - a ground I`ve never visited!
1029 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

29th November 2019, 16:28
Tyke

Thanks, I didnt know the fixtures were out. Cheltenham is lovely. I have never been to Scarbro but Lancs there seems attractive. I might be able to manage a couple of days
1030 of 2514  -   Report This Post