CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jigjag

3rd November 2019, 12:02
Malone

What a delightful 1000th posting! Well done on this and all your others over the last few months. Very much appreciated by us all.

1001 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

3rd November 2019, 12:13
Thanks, jigjag - but a thread with just my witterings would be a poor one indeed!

It's good that the odd random comment can spark off a mini-debate or discussion, it's good that there can be all sorts of discussions going on at various points. Even though I wear my pedantry with pride, I'm equally happy with the nonsense (as in light-hearted, not non-sense!) posts that are often amusing. Sometimes that's what we need after grappling with...

a hard crossword
a hard Brexit
a hard decision on whether to have a hard or soft Brexit...

oh, and we've now got the thrill(!) of the general election looming.
1002 of 2514  -   Report This Post

rusty

3rd November 2019, 17:18
Excuse my intrusion, everyone, but I'd like to congratulate you all on reaching 1000 posts!
Well done, indeed!
1003 of 2514  -   Report This Post

tyke51

3rd November 2019, 19:01
Thanks Rusty - I`m pleased that Malone allowed Jigjag to push her gently over the finishing line - their creative posts have entertained us all!
1004 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

3rd November 2019, 19:16
Rusty, thanks for looking in - and for your kind remarks.

Tyke
I was knee-deep in crosswords this morning (a slight exaggeration, of course), so I just rattled off a quick response to Jigjag's post. It's good to know that our 'creative posts' have entertained you … I'm sure there will be more (especially when Jigjag gets back to the market outings, the fine dining and so on
1005 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

3rd November 2019, 21:09
Tyke

Sorry for the delay - I have been at Everton v Spurs - lots of controversy and I look forward to Match of the Day 2.

I set Malone up for a tap-in, free hit, slam dunk or whatever they have in tennis. She replied with a cracking 1000th post and I am sure there will be lots more.

1006 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

4th November 2019, 10:21
The bowler was wided
The batsman leg-byeded
The keeper was byeded
No-ball was derided
And the ump got the 'ump
1007 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

4th November 2019, 11:52
Jigjag

You seem to have had a very sporty weekend - the football, the cricket poem, setting me up for a tennis shot... For the last, I don't think there is a term that'd match tap-in, slam dunk etc.

Although I enjoyed your little poem, part of that was masochistic, revisiting those words I dislike!
1008 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

5th November 2019, 14:22
Jigjag

What a great poem about all the extras and some of the strange words we use in cricket. Did you try to get penalty runs in? Very difficult. Penalty provided? No it doesn't work.
1009 of 2514  -   Report This Post

tyke51

5th November 2019, 14:48
Jigjag & Grunger

... not to mention the Duckworth-Lewis-Stern method - or Bumble`s Supernova ...

my personal favourite cricket song is ...

Roy Harper's song "When an Old Cricketer Leaves the Crease" (1975)

When an old cricketer leaves the crease, you never know whether he's gone,
If sometimes you're catching a fleeting glimpse, of a twelfth man at silly mid-on.
And it could be Geoff, and it could be John,
With a new ball sting in his tail.
And it could be me, and it could be thee,
And it could be the sting in the ale... sting in the ale.
1010 of 2514  -   Report This Post