CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

tyke51

31st October 2019, 10:30
Jigjag

We had a walk down to the Pier Head to see the Ferry cross the Mersey ... was impressed with the new buildings while the `Three Graces` looked at their best having been soaked by heavy rain for 48 hours.
Only saw the museums from the outside!

I thought we`d get a win at Southend but wasn`t expecting 7-1! Didn`t go unfortunately.
971 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

31st October 2019, 11:04
jigjag

Hope you are ready for the "celebrations" to-night?
972 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

31st October 2019, 11:14
Tyke

Yes there are some lovely buidings in Liverpool. The ferries used to be packed years ago.

Grunger

Yes I am ready. Plenty of sweets and pumpkin carved.

Malone

What did you think of the clue a couple of days ago - Kisser = dial. For me Kisser = mouth. Perhaps it is regional. I liked the "racquet" clue yesterday.
973 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

31st October 2019, 15:47
Jigjag

Thanks for your posts. I hope I don't miss out anything vital...

'Byeded' is a truly awful word and should be erased from everyone's vocabulary! I don't know about Tyke, but lots of people in Scotland have 'bided' in various places. The pronunciation is different, of course, and the past tense comes from a real/normal word, to bide. 'Your 'byed' is bad enough, but 'byeded'....!

I've been too busy to do the Times crossword the last couple of days, so missed both 'racquet' and 'kisser/dial'. The latter seems wrong - like you, I would have been fine with Kisser = mouth, but that's all.

974 of 2514  -   Report This Post

tyke51

31st October 2019, 16:33
Malone Jigjag Grunger

Pleased to report that `byeded` has not been heard on the sunny side of the Pennines ... if a fielder drops the ball a team-mate may remark `you should`ve catched that one` ... I like to think this is said for comic effect but am not certain!
975 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

31st October 2019, 17:22
Tyke51

I am now officially appointing you as 'Byeded Commisioner'. If you see or hear that word, you have the authority to … do whatever you like to the offender.

It's kind of you to give 'have catched' the benefit of the doubt. I think I'd be less so … unless it was 100% obvious that it was being done for comic effect.
976 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

31st October 2019, 17:35
Grunger, Malone
I have just had my first visitors of the evening. I opened the door to find 3 figures covered in white sheets. “Ah, ghosts” I said.
“Not quite, trick or treat?” a female voice replied.
“I’ll have a treat”, I suggested optimistically, but they chanted:

Three little Ghostesses
Eating beans on toastesses
Sitting on their assesses
Latte in their glassesses

Hairdresseresses, Shepherdesses
Blacksmithesses, Couldn’t-care-lessesses

Three little Ghostesses
Eating beans on toastesses
Captcha-ing their postesses

“That was delightful, but where did you learn it? “ I enquired.
“We were taught it by Orson, and some other crossword fans have made a few changes.”

I turned to pick up my bucket of sweets, but when I turned back, the ghostesses had disappeared into the night.
977 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

31st October 2019, 18:23
Jigjag

Thanks for that - a wonderful Halloween treat!* I - and many others, I'm sure - appreciate the time and effort that must have gone into that. Even though I'm no fan of the '-esses', I enjoyed seeing how many you managed to cram in!

* And no trickery was involved in its creation.

PS. For a touch of nostalgia, here's one from guisers (definitely NOT trick-or-treaters) in the 1960s...

Ah'm an Aberdonian
Ah come fae Aberdeen.
Ah'm only here tae ask ye
Fur mah Halloween.
978 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

31st October 2019, 19:09
jigjag

That's wonderful - lovely to see all those -esses that we have been talking about put together. It also scans well - great effort to get the rhythm flowing- many thanks.
979 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

31st October 2019, 19:18
Malone, Grunger

Glad you enjoyed it. The original poem, by Kamil Fra, was posted by Orson a few weeks ago when we talking about various -esses. It seemed a good idea to expand it to include the food and other items that people have mentioned.

Malone

I like your poem - I am working on the translation.
980 of 2514  -   Report This Post