CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

tonynannini

8th December 2018, 14:27
No idea. Do you agree with me on the misspelling of the occupant's origin?
11 of 111  -   Report This Post

wakeling

8th December 2018, 14:33
I assume the central square looks rather like the one above it, replicating a characteristic of the occupant in the spelling of the origin. The US completes an accurate representation.
12 of 111  -   Report This Post

drxx

8th December 2018, 14:38
I think so, I've simply duplicated a letter at the centre, mispelling the name to 'maintain consistency' with some entries. This suggests the anatomical quirk I think you're referring to (but I'm no expert on the theme - it's all coming from wiki).

I hope this discussion of the endgame so soon doesn't put people off - it would put me off! Sorry.

I've got to leave for a couple of hours now. Sorry again.
13 of 111  -   Report This Post

drxx

8th December 2018, 14:55
One more thing before I go.

Another problem with discussing endgames so early is that references are made to things that are only obvious to solvers at the same stage of completion.

I did not mean to suggest that clued answers are ever misspelled on entry or that they have letters arbitrarily duplicated - they do not.

Thanks wakeling - I'll have another look via wiki.
14 of 111  -   Report This Post

murky

9th December 2018, 05:32
This puzzle is topsy-turvy. Normally one would expect to get the theme via the clue gimmick provided, but in this case the number of possible changes to extra words is too large to be of any use whatsoever. Many have eight or more possibilities and at least one has over twenty. As far as I can see the correct versions can only be determined when one has worked out the theme from the completed grid, and even then I fail to see how a couple are particularly thematic.

The endgame misspelling strikes me as a bit silly. I can't see that it adds to the puzzle, especially as it's thematically inappropriate since it should apply to the occupant, not the origin.

Still, an enjoyable puzzle that was rather easier to complete than last week's.

My tip to anyone who has only just started the puzzle is don't waste your time trying to see what the misprints might be. Just fill the grid first. The system for entering overlong answers can be worked out without the hint (as somewhat unhelpful hint in any case).
15 of 111  -   Report This Post

gitto

9th December 2018, 07:31
I have a full grid, except the misspelling in the centre square. I can spot the article, but have no idea at all about the thematic place - which I'm reading as being somewhere different from the unclued entry. Trying to do this by correcting the misprints, like Murky says, is quite frankly ridiculous as the number of combinations is preposterous - I might as well spend my time trying to determine what next weeks lottery numbers are!!

I'll take a break and see if that helps
16 of 111  -   Report This Post

murky

9th December 2018, 07:52
Gitto, I saw nothing until I took a break ( a night's sleep), so you might find you come back to it with fresh eyes after a break. As you have filled the grid you might notice something about its appearance. That was my key to seeing the thematic six-word place, which had hitherto eluded me. I couldn't see the wood for the trees (no thematic significance in my choice of idiom).
17 of 111  -   Report This Post

gitto

9th December 2018, 08:23
I found the place by carefully re-reading the preamble. The article I had found was wrong, as I had highlighted a representation of the place, and was fruitlessly looking under it - even resorting to the deception of that damn hare. I think I know what to do with the centre square - but that just seems silly to me!
18 of 111  -   Report This Post

dylan

9th December 2018, 08:26
I'm afraid I'm way behind, still trying to finish half of the grid. I seem to have a problem in 47ac, as my (confident) answers to 41d and 35d give me nonsense in the bottom row. Any thoughts please?
19 of 111  -   Report This Post

gitto

9th December 2018, 08:33
Dylan, 47ac is a 4 letter word for flag reversed in a 4 letter word for outside.
20 of 111  -   Report This Post