CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

planks

11th December 2018, 15:10
Catkin, the theme is a very long running sci fi show, an anagram of the title is a big clue.
81 of 111  -   Report This Post

merenz

11th December 2018, 15:12
Hi catkin. For 16a the first four cells are singleton letters. The last eight letters are split equally between the remaining cells and go in, in order.

Do you have any of the extra words yet? How about 38d and 42d? If so, perhaps you can see a possible link following the letter changes?
82 of 111  -   Report This Post

merenz

11th December 2018, 15:13
Hi catkin. For 16a the first four cells are singleton letters. The last eight letters are split equally between the remaining cells and go in, in order.

Do you have any of the extra words yet? How about 38d and 42d? If so, perhaps you can see a possible link following the letter changes?
83 of 111  -   Report This Post

catkin

11th December 2018, 15:13
Thank you!! I will follow that really helpful hint and post again if I need to.
84 of 111  -   Report This Post

planks

11th December 2018, 15:14
Pka1, glad to help. Keep squashing!
85 of 111  -   Report This Post

turast

11th December 2018, 15:14
The entry method is as follows
e.g. 15 Across TRANSCENDS + 6 Down DISC CAMERA share the letters SC, so enter those two letters in the one cell at Row 3 Column 9.
Last 3 letters of 15 Across are entered as single letters, but the first 6 are entered as 3 pairs. TR / AN / SC
First 2 letters of 6 Down are entered as single letters, but the last 8 are entered as 4 pairs SC / CA / ME / RA
The double letter entries can also occur in unchecked cells, but arriving at how this works depends on word-lengths and thir occurrence in a specific area of the grid. If it helps, NONE of the 6 words to be highlighted include any double letter cells.
The extra words in the down clues include QUICK, JAWBONES, LETCH, CORK, ALDER among others. Using T O E S A variously to correct them to give synonyms for duck sound, butcher, sucker, prepare food, change should show a thematic connection which tells you what to do to & with the title to give you the theme.
86 of 111  -   Report This Post

merenz

11th December 2018, 15:17
Apparently failing the robot test creates the reward of a duplicate post!

*I am not a droid*
87 of 111  -   Report This Post

catkin

11th December 2018, 15:24
Hi Merenz. I am being very slow here. I have the first four letters of 16a confirmed by 1d, 2d 13d and 3. Do you mean that the remaining letters go in alternately or that a consecutive section of 4 letters selected from the 8 are entered. Does this make a real word?
I think the extra word for 38d might be "quick" but since I don't have the answer I can't confirm this. I don't have the extra answer for 42d. I have other extra words that I am sure of but can't see any connections.
88 of 111  -   Report This Post

merenz

11th December 2018, 15:35
Hi catkin. Check out turast’s post which gives a lot more detail, especially on the letter changes for some down clues. For 16a, letters 5&6 go in the 5th cell, 7&8 in the 6th, 8&9 in the 7th and 11&12 in the last cell
89 of 111  -   Report This Post

catkin

11th December 2018, 15:35
Hi Turast
Thank you. I can see it now. I will apply these new insights and try to fly solo for a while. I am full of admiration for all of you who saw these connections without needing to have it explained.
90 of 111  -   Report This Post