CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

wakeling

8th December 2018, 11:47
A slight benefit from having a cold is that I woke very early this morning and was able to complete the grid I started (slowly) yesterday using the online version.
I was just about to ask everyone for help finding the name of the place when I re-read the preamble and found it. Phew.
1 of 111  -   Report This Post

drxx

8th December 2018, 12:34
I assume there are no restrictions on this thread - wakeling has not requested any, but has immediately jumped to the endgame with his comments.

I started solving the puzzle this morning, I have everything apart from the final highlighting. I have no issues regarding its fairness (in my opinion it's a very good puzzle) but I'm happy to give hints or answers if required.
2 of 111  -   Report This Post

wakeling

8th December 2018, 12:39
drxx - congratulations. You obviously completed the grid much faster than me. I misread the preamble to start with and looked for a six letter word rather than a six word name, and re-reading it made it much easier. I assume the article at the top is the very obvious one.
3 of 111  -   Report This Post

drxx

8th December 2018, 13:24
I've not finished it yet wakeling, I'll wait until then before discussing the endgame.

I thought your post might deter people who are just starting the puzzle, that's why I've joined in.

I must say, I'm enjoying it so far, does it end well?
4 of 111  -   Report This Post

wakeling

8th December 2018, 13:43
I started to enjoy it more when I realised the method of entry and increasingly so as I guessed at the theme and then worked out the misprints to confirm it. The endgame is simple but very neat. The clues were fair and well constructed (though there's one answer I can't quite parse) so all in all a good puzzle for me.
5 of 111  -   Report This Post

tonynannini

8th December 2018, 13:49
I agree, Wakeling. I hope that the obvious article that you have mentioned is the correct one. It's position would suggest as much. The only remaining problem that I have is with the "misspelling of the origin to maintain consistency". Any ideas?
6 of 111  -   Report This Post

tonynannini

8th December 2018, 13:54
I have assumed that something has to happen in the central square to mirror something about the protagonist.
7 of 111  -   Report This Post

drxx

8th December 2018, 13:58
If it is the obvious one, I don't see how it fits the theme - or the two stray letters beneath it.
8 of 111  -   Report This Post

tonynannini

8th December 2018, 14:01
I'm assuming that the article completes a pictorial representation of the theme?
9 of 111  -   Report This Post

drxx

8th December 2018, 14:15
But what about the US?
10 of 111  -   Report This Post