CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rusty

24th April 2019, 19:32
Hello, Malone!
Ah, we have pens in common!
I'm an awful man for pens.
I have loads, and the vast majority are Papermate Flexigrips!
I looked in my local ASDA for biscuit tins, but the nearest things they had was plastic "storage boxes".
Mind you, I like the sound of your tins!
And I love shortie....so, maybe I could be persuaded!
Yes, it is always the "latest" post that has numbers out of synch.
The previous one corrects itself.
26891 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

24th April 2019, 19:34
Malone, I have just replied to your post and it is not there, at my end, yet it is on the main page!
26892 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

24th April 2019, 19:35
Ah, It has turned up now!
Is this site haunted, I wonder!
26893 of 30765  -   Report This Post

malone

24th April 2019, 19:51
Rusty, I'm giving up on the numbers stuff. I'll treat the problem like a misbehaving child - ignore it and it might go away!

I have at least 20 'spare' pens. I will never be caught short. As well as the everyday, rather boring, Bics, I also have Pilot Rollerballs, Stabilo coloured pens … and a few of your Papermate Flexigrips.
26894 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

24th April 2019, 20:16
Hello, Malone.
The missing post that turned up should have been the first post on a new page.
I wonder if that is significant?
Would that tie in with the wonky number, perhaps?
If I have any bother tomorrow I'll let Norah know.
26895 of 30765  -   Report This Post

elle

24th April 2019, 20:41
Hi, Rusty!
I am sorry to have abandoned you , but I had to organise dinner, and since then we have carried on "clearing the decks " in readiness for the builders tomorrow.
Now I have checked the numbering of the post immediately after sending one to you...... but the numbering for me is still absolutely fine right from the word go?
The correct number sequence is up there on the screen before another post appears.
Yet from what you have been saying the numbers at your end only "correct" themselves after a second posting?
I cannot understand this?
I gather that Malone is saying the same thing?
So could it possibly be a regional problem?
Maybe there is a fault in Scotland that isn't happening here in England?
It sounds mad, though........but who knows?
26896 of 30765  -   Report This Post

elle

24th April 2019, 20:45
Check, Rusty!
Having posted that last missive, I have immediately checked the numbering BEFORE sending this …….

My last post said "26895 of 26895"
26897 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rusty

24th April 2019, 20:59
Hello, Elle!
I think the best thing you can do to help the builders is to stay out of their way!
The numbers are out of sequence on the "latest" post.
When another post arrives and the "latest" post becomes the "second latest" post, the numbers are corrected.
I have checked several threads and it is only happening on the PCT.
I can not understand it, too, Elle.
I can't see it just being a Scottish problem, surely?
The numbers don't bother me, but the post apparently being displayed on the main page, but not being there when the thread is opened, does bother me.
I have done everything I could think of, to possibly help, including logging out, clearing history and cookies etc, switching off my router for ten minutes etc, and sent a wee prayer up to St Jude, the patron saint of lost causes....to no avail!
26898 of 30765  -   Report This Post

elle

24th April 2019, 21:16
Hi, Rusty!
Yes, I am understanding what you are saying...but it just isn't happening for me!
I am wondering now which is the most odd ...that yours is "wrong" or mine is "right"?!
Still, annoying though it obviously is, it could be worse......at least we are still able to communicate!
Yes, I shall be well out of the builders way, tomorrow.....my husband will have to make the tea and proffer the biscuit tin!!!
Sadly, I am meeting a friend who has just recently been bereaved; her daughter has died of cancer.
I cannot think of anything more inconceivable , or distressing , can you, than that of one's child dying before you?
I feel helpless as to what support to offer.
But at least I can be there.
I wonder will you get this safely and with what "number"?
26899 of 30765  -   Report This Post

rosalind

24th April 2019, 21:18
I don't agree one does not need a biscuit tin, cream crackers for example get very soft without one. But I haven't bought one either. People give you biscuits or sweets (Quality Street at Christmas) in nice tins and, as someone (elle?) said, you can keep the best. I had one in an odd shape from the 2012 Olympics but someone snaffled it. Those kind tend to be valuable eventually.

There was once a trade in biscuit tin designs, pictures of Scottish Glens and such. This was a way for making money by cash-strapped artists. However, they had to sign a contract to say they would only paint pictures for biscuit tins. I have an oil painting of Glencoe by someone who doesn't and didn't exist. Apparently he used several pseudonyms to carry on selling his non-biscuit tin paintings.
26900 of 30765  -   Report This Post