CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

 

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

geeker

8th August 2026, 15:18
25 defn "wasted". It uses a trick for "retired", parses as an inclusion (6 into 3).
51 of 64  -   Report This Post

rocky7

8th August 2026, 15:42
Thanks all. I'm on the seafront (or is that sea front) having a beer just now so will attend on my return.
52 of 64  -   Report This Post

stevenc

8th August 2026, 17:37
Ah, thank you geeker!
Even with your hints, it took me a bit of further wrestling – but I’m delighted to say they have all now fallen nicely into place.
25 is particularly splendid.
23 was on the edge of my knowledge – having never been to that location – but very satisfying when the penny dropped!
53 of 64  -   Report This Post

rocky7

8th August 2026, 18:21
Let me say up front I had never heard of 13a,14d or 27a. But Vlad, despite being incredibly tough makes them all achievable and very fair. And much help from here thanks. Five visits before I finally nailed this and a very enjoyable puzzle.

FOI 9a. LOI 14d. COD so many candidates but I'm plumping for 10a.

Thanks Vlad and all here.
54 of 64  -   Report This Post

roof

8th August 2026, 19:30
Well I saw it was the impaler, so didn't expect to get many. Indeed, like Plutocrat, it wasn't until I cheated with DanWord for 1ac that I made any progress.
I shall now work through the hints I've picked up from the thread and see if i can get any more. Sorry Vlad, but it is all too difficult for me.
55 of 64  -   Report This Post

rocky7

8th August 2026, 22:44
Hi Roof

It is tough but worth the effort. It's a great puzzle. It really depends if you have plenty else more worthwhile to do instead.
56 of 64  -   Report This Post

roof

8th August 2026, 22:53
Many thanks for all your hints. I managed to finish the crossword with a couple more helps from DanWord. There were a number I couldn't parse at all or couldn't fully parse.

10ac I got the pointless political leader, but not the rest
11ac I got the first three letters but not the rest
12ac I got the country, but can't parse the rest of the clue
13ac I have the answer, but don't fully understand it.
15ac Where does the President come in?
24ac I have a word that fits the crossers, but have no idea why it is right.
8d Where does the third letter from the answer come from?
9d I can see the definition, but the word play has defeated me.
24ac I have an answer, but cannot see the bilingual bit.

Too many to answer I think.
FOI 2d, COD 24ac, CODs 4D, 25ac and 1ac
57 of 64  -   Report This Post

rocky7

9th August 2026, 07:12
10a think Third Man for Harry.
11a if you upset someone you can xxxx them.
12a is a reverse 3, 3 around one letter for you.
13a apparently is a phrase for a misleading term. Never heard it myself.
15a Famous US president's first name and one letter.
24a Anagram of Mr president regularly and ultimately loses. If you're in a pub and you've finished your drink the barman might say are these dead? The soldiers part I'm not sure.
8d don't know either but could only be one answer
24a bilingual is clever but quite loose. Split the answer into two words 2,3.
58 of 64  -   Report This Post

jono

9th August 2026, 07:21
24a dead soldiers is an expression in itself for the answer.
8d is a reversal of 2 letters for through then 1 for Henry all followed by 3 letters for get free.
59 of 64  -   Report This Post

rocky7

9th August 2026, 08:44
Thanks jono. That's tied up a few loose ends.
60 of 64  -   Report This Post