CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

 

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

paulhabershon

21st August 2026, 07:33
chrise
My hearing certainly isn't what it was, but the Cambridge English Dictionary has the last syllables of conger and conga sounding as in the a of 'above'.

It differentiates US pronunciation by the er of conger sounding as the er in 'mother'. Presumably that means sounding the r.

I think the UK similarity is satisfactory enough for most cryptic solvers.
51 of 71  -   Report This Post

swarbrules

21st August 2026, 07:43
There are a few words that define real English English. If it is allowed, bollocks is one, a fine, all purpose word, Another is ISH,
52 of 71  -   Report This Post

malone

21st August 2026, 07:44
Thanks, Paul. I think 'satisfactory enough for most cryptic solvers' is as good as it will ever get - and the ones who're not in the 'most' camp will just sigh wearily (again). Crosswords have made me accept that earn/urn is totally valid, though it makes me shudder each and every time it's used. The same goes for a few other crossword favourites. The lovely floor/flaw made an appearance this week. Valid though these homophones may be, some appear way too often for me!
53 of 71  -   Report This Post

grunger

24th August 2026, 17:54
I pronounce conga and conger differently as chrise does.

I always pronounce the r at the end of a word. That's how we speak here.

I loved malones homophoniness. A great word.
54 of 71  -   Report This Post

jigjag

24th August 2026, 18:01
I pronounce law lore lor lure exactly the same so I am OK with homophones. Also earn urn Ern.
55 of 71  -   Report This Post

malone

24th August 2026, 19:23
Grunger,Jigjag,anyone. I checked Chambers and was delighted to see Conger and Conga are pronounced differently there.

Jigjag, I think it's fine for you (and others) to drop all those Rs. It's only temporary, I think you stick them in wordss uch as Bath and Path and goodness know what else (I gave upkeeping tabs!)
56 of 71  -   Report This Post

jigjag

25th August 2026, 14:29
Malone

You will be pleased to hear that do I NOT stick the missing Rs in bath, path etc.

In fact I try to avoid R wheeve possible.
57 of 71  -   Report This Post

malone

25th August 2026, 14:39
Thanks, jigjag. Sorry,I thought you were one of the R stickers simply because you mentioned Law (lore,lor, lure). I'm delighted that there's no Rs in your Bath...

PS I loved 'wheeve'.
58 of 71  -   Report This Post

chrise

15th September 2026, 21:40
I'v e just gone off Giorgio Locatelli on Masterchef - "toomeric"!
59 of 71  -   Report This Post

swarbrules

19th September 2026, 05:28
BBC news subtitle today:

NINETH
60 of 71  -   Report This Post