CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

 

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jigjag

17th August 2026, 15:54
Malone

I was interested to read on an EV thread that you have a laptop. Even better, you mute it, so well done. I get irritated when people have conversations on them.
41 of 71  -   Report This Post

malone

17th August 2026, 16:09
Hello, Jigjag. It'd be great if I could mute people too - that would be useful on trains and buses! I thought of my fellow pedants and moaners yesterday when I saw this Telegraph clue...

Strong swimmer's dance in audition (6).

Did I...
A. Sigh but smile
B. Growl ferociously
C Send forth a stream of invective, probably heard many miles away?

42 of 71  -   Report This Post

jigjag

17th August 2026, 16:34
Malone

I am sure you felt like doing "C", but I imagine that with your usual self-control, you gracefully did "A"
43 of 71  -   Report This Post

grunger

17th August 2026, 16:36
Sorry malone, I cant solve it.
44 of 71  -   Report This Post

malone

17th August 2026, 16:42
Sorry, Jigjag, I went with B I don't think I do anything 'gracefully'.
Grunger, it's possibly the homophoniness* of the clue that has got you stuck?

*A new word, maybe very, very new.
45 of 71  -   Report This Post

trebornotlaw

20th August 2026, 15:31
Is it something that congs?
46 of 71  -   Report This Post

malone

20th August 2026, 15:33
TrebvorNotlaw, yes, that could be one way of putting it.
47 of 71  -   Report This Post

paulhabershon

20th August 2026, 22:13
malone and trebornotlaw @45, 46, 47

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gfvQJQ6EaA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcX1Ki-TKy0

Surely no homophoniness here. I suppose some regional dialects would sound the r in conger, but I don't think that's a reason for discounting so much of this genre of clue. No RIP for RP.

48 of 71  -   Report This Post

chrise

20th August 2026, 22:19
paulH
You must have cloth ears! Can you not detect the difference between congAH and congERRR?
:)
49 of 71  -   Report This Post

malone

21st August 2026, 07:18
Paul... I have nothing against RP. I feel quite safe in saying that most of Scotland would sound the 'r' in 'conger' - but if you want to class a whole country as having a 'regional' dialect...

50 of 71  -   Report This Post