CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

aicram

5th November 2022, 21:29
Thanks to you all for your help and so interesting to read all the posts. I very rarely post but always access this Blog for advice and help.
It means that putting a couple of clues in and casting it aside is then converted, eventually, into a fully completed grid.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend .
81 of 87  -   Report This Post

brendan

5th November 2022, 21:44
That's great Aicram, glad you got it all sorted:-)
82 of 87  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

5th November 2022, 21:52
I quite liked my parsing of 19D, shame the guy is not very famous at all, my parsing would have worked if it was Capone instead of Chambers :)

That's what happens if you type something into google search to try and justify your answer ;)
83 of 87  -   Report This Post

siane

6th November 2022, 09:45
3rd week of trying to teach myself the Guardian weekend cryptic. First week only got a few, even with help, but understood most when I saw the answers. Last week got about 1/2 so was feeling like great progress had been made. This week I have 2, maybe 4...and thats after reading this thread! So I guess progress isn't linear! If you could confirm my 2 I'm not 100% confident on at least I'll know I've got the correct cross letters for others.

4D definition 'attempted', anagram of 'knackered' with a letter pulled up. Starts with T
6D I can't get to parse, but definition is a temporary settlement, starts with E ends with P

Will keep plugging away for the rest of the week - thanks all, this forum is invaluable!
84 of 87  -   Report This Post

jono

6th November 2022, 10:12
Hi SianE,
4d you have the wordplay, but it’s the other way round, so the definition is knackered.
6d definition is “set up temporary quarters”. Three letters people, first letter removed, then four letter word for ‘affected’.
Your E and P are correct.

You may know this already, but the full breakdown of the previous week’s prize puzzle with a detailed blog is available on the fifteensquared website a week later which can be useful for checking purposes. Best of luck!
85 of 87  -   Report This Post

siane

6th November 2022, 12:22
Thanks jono! Couldn't make up my mind which way 4d went, thanks for the confirmation. Yes, will keep grinding away till the answers next week :-)
86 of 87  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

6th November 2022, 14:26
They also publish the answers with explanations on Friday lunchtime on the Graun site e.g. here is last week's:

https://www.theguardian.com/crosswords/2022/nov/04/annotated-solutions-for-prize-28901

But they make it hard to find (have to go to crosswords - view all crosswords by date), and fifteensquared explanations are better anyway.
87 of 87  -   Report This Post