CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

paradigmshifter

5th November 2022, 18:29
Oh wow we parsed it completely differently... yours makes more sense I think!
61 of 87  -   Report This Post

havermonkey

5th November 2022, 18:32
Thanks both - at least I know my answer was right! It's remarkable how often you can come to the right answer different ways.
62 of 87  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

5th November 2022, 18:32
Obviously I was thinking of another country where removing AL makes another country ;)
63 of 87  -   Report This Post

havermonkey

5th November 2022, 18:40
Yes your parsing made complete sense too, once you pointed out the AL in question. Did you have to go looking for him?
64 of 87  -   Report This Post

roof

5th November 2022, 18:42
Thanks Brendan et al

Jono, you nearly threw me with the wrong letter in 14d as I knew it was right.

Since my last post, I got 1ac. I knew the name, but had never understood the definition. I've also had trouble with the band member, but as someone suggested I googled it. I'd never heard his name, despite my age.

I had also concluded what the answer to 27ac was, though was misled by an earlier thread that suggested it had 8 letters. I'd never heard of it used this way, but google has confirmed it.

But I still have 4 left. They are 1d, 11ac, 18ac and 23d. Any hints for these would be most welcome.
65 of 87  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

5th November 2022, 18:42
Yup. I didn't check his bio though, he's nowhere near famous enough to be eponymous with that word though, unlike say Doris or Donald or whatever ;)
66 of 87  -   Report This Post

roof

5th November 2022, 18:47
Apologies to Brendan. I've just checked the thread and Brendan at 3 did have only 7 letters, so it was my mistake reading it as 8.

14d. Yes, of course I knew the group (not that I rated them), but I didn't know the individual's name. I was a serious fan of The Rolling Stones and other groups of the late 60s, early 70s.
67 of 87  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

5th November 2022, 18:47
1D: I letter "Male" + 5 letter "singer" (very famous these days) + 2 letter "popular" + 1 letter "English"

11A: 1 letter "Left", followed by a word in the clue (reversed). Chance as in something you draw at random.

18A: 2 letter "former" + what is the counterpart of "PM" (not politics)

23D: 3 letter "problem" (in arithmetic) containing Liz (previously), all reversed, complaint as in something you might catch especially at primary school.
68 of 87  -   Report This Post

brendan

5th November 2022, 18:52
Hi Roof,

1d - 1 letter "male" + 5 letter "singer" (a specific one (English and female)) + 2 letter "popular" + 1 letter "English" - definition is "girl" (a name)

11a - 1 letter "left" + "to" "switched" - definition is "chance"

18a - 2 letter "former" + 2 letter PM's counterpart" (nothing to do with politics) - definition is "one (is) sat"

23d - 3 letter "problem" reversed/"raised" goes around 2 letter "Liz previously who didn't 9a" - definition is "complaint" (a medical one)

Is it just the band member you didn't know or had you not of the group?
69 of 87  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

5th November 2022, 18:56
Too slow Brenno ;) At least my parsings agree with your this time.

Everyone has heard of the group surely. My wife threatened to leave me because of my obsession with the group. I thought she was joking at first. And then I saw her face.
70 of 87  -   Report This Post