CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

paradigmshifter

20th August 2022, 19:57
It sounds like a very Graun reader kind of thing to do if you ask me, 2D, when they are not knitting lentil cardigans that is ;)

Farmers do it a lot these days as well I think.
91 of 113  -   Report This Post

dhope

20th August 2022, 20:01
You obviously don’t listen to the Archers!
92 of 113  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

20th August 2022, 20:01
I have a part of my garden which I am starting to 2d to help the planet :)
93 of 113  -   Report This Post

roof

20th August 2022, 20:56
Hi Brendan

Loganberries are a cross between raspberries and blackberries. They are delicious. We've had a bumper crop again this year. I've made a lot of jam. They trail along the side of our "sharage" a portmanteau word for our shed/garage.

As DWord has said you'd have heard of 2D if you listened to The Archers.

Having said all that, I've nearly finished. Just four left in North- east corner: 5ac,10ac,6d and 7d. Please can I have some hints for these. I have put a circle round a couple of others to discuss with my Sheffield friend tomorrow.

94 of 113  -   Report This Post

chrise

20th August 2022, 21:03
Hi roof
5 read idiot (slang) plan backwards to give a plain (geogrphical feature)
10 Nato alphabet, then another car from the same stable without the first letter, to give a sort of break
6 double definition, though, as some of us have been slow to see, the second one is 1,4
7d "act I put on" as a charade - the divine is Greek
95 of 113  -   Report This Post

brendan

20th August 2022, 21:17
Thanks Roof,

They sound absolutely delicious:-)

My ex-partner used to love The Archers so, inevitably, I would listen to it from time to time - the only character I really remember is Lynda Snell - she used to crack me up:-)

5a - 3 letter "idiot" + 3 letter "plan" both reversed - definition is "plain"

10a - 6 letter old (Ford) car with first letter swapped for "sierra" - definition is "break"

6d - the song is spilt 1,4 and the definition is "not everyone should hear this"

7d - 4 letter "act" as a verb + I _ 3 letter "put on" - definition is "divine fellow in the main"

96 of 113  -   Report This Post

rocky7

20th August 2022, 22:45
Been out most of the day so just coming back for a quick shout out to Chrise and Jono for helping out with 9a. Always forget that term for the City is used quite often in these crosswords.
97 of 113  -   Report This Post

roof

20th August 2022, 23:50
Many thanks Chrise and Brendan

After a break to watch the new Norwegian drama about the oilfield. I have now finished, though I didn't find it easy even with your generous hints. I really don't like 6d. Though come to think of it I haven't liked the whole crossword. I can't remember if it is Picaroon or another setter starting with P I always have trouble with. I like Paul.

My FOI was 1d, my LOI was 6d and my COD was 18ac. It might have been 14ac, but I'm still not sure how it parses.

See you all next week.
98 of 113  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

20th August 2022, 23:54
14A parses as "rough work, we hear" + standard 1 letter old inside (boring) academic (4).
99 of 113  -   Report This Post

jossyp

21st August 2022, 11:13
Thanks Brendan. J and M
100 of 113  -   Report This Post