CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

murky

9th May 2022, 10:11
Ukridge, this is such a well constructed puzzle that I would not like to reveal its secret on this forum. You need to get as many of the early down answers as possible, then consider closely those answers and the first 10-letter across answer. It requires some lateral thinking, but the setter has been meticulously fair in his choice of answers.
I hope the penny drops for you eventually.
71 of 130  -   Report This Post

ukridge

9th May 2022, 10:40
Thank you murky. My problem is that I'm missing 3, 4 & 5 of the down answers. I've kept plugging away at the cold solving and have about 80% of the answers but I'm stymied by those three.
72 of 130  -   Report This Post

quisling

9th May 2022, 11:03
ukridge, like murky I'm reluctant to reveal the key on here, but you should have enough answers to be able to think about fitting them into the grid. If you have the first across clue and first two downs, for example, focus on them. If you have the last across clue and last two downs of equivalent length to the first two (because of symmetry), that might also confirm if you are on the right track
73 of 130  -   Report This Post

crowdedmorning

9th May 2022, 11:05
Ukridge, I have many, many fewer than 80% of the answers but I do have 4d (I think). Definition is first word and is arguably slightly obscure depending on your knowledge, but the wordplay is quite straightforward parsing, including a reversal.

I have neither 3 nor 5 of the downs sadly! Thinking 5d might be defined by the last word, and the wordplay is close but I can't quite get it to match up precisely so I may be on the wrong track...
74 of 130  -   Report This Post

planks

9th May 2022, 11:12
ukridge, I have an answer for 3d -a three letter word for nun (it's not in my Bradfords) clothing a two letter word for worth. As I'm struggling like you to fit it in the grid, I'm beginning to wonder if it's correct.
75 of 130  -   Report This Post

ukridge

9th May 2022, 11:17
Thank you quisling and cr.
Quisling, that is what I have focused on but I can't make it work. Perhaps I have a wrong answer. Is the first down answer a word often associated with censorship and state secrets?
76 of 130  -   Report This Post

quisling

9th May 2022, 11:23
That sounds correct, ukridge. As does your answer for 3d, planks. You might want to look again at the preamble: when it mentions that the extra letters confirm how to complete the grid, this should alert you to the fact that all may not be quite as it seems.
77 of 130  -   Report This Post

malone

9th May 2022, 11:40
To would-be solvers, I think the theme of this week's puzzle makes it very tricky for even 'Gentle Nudges' to be given. It would be all too easy for too much to be revealed.

To Listener helpers, I hope this doesn't come across as patronising, but I'm impressed with the level and nature of the help being offered towards the theme!
78 of 130  -   Report This Post

ukridge

9th May 2022, 12:11
Well the penny dropped, though I still have a bit of jigsaw solving to do. I have to say well done indeed to those who worked out what was going on without the help you've kindly given to me.
79 of 130  -   Report This Post

planks

9th May 2022, 12:17
I think that I too have had a 'ker-ching' moment. Thanks all.
80 of 130  -   Report This Post