CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

smellyharry

13th May 2022, 17:34
Finally got there after plugging away all week, very enjoyable. Second ever Sabre completed without help.

Had 5 parsing questions but the thread has resolved 4 of them. Only one left is 11th across clue 'Tears...'. If my parsing is correct the second word becomes a single letter, but I'm having trouble finding any justification for that?

Agree the 5th across clue is outstanding.

121 of 130  -   Report This Post

brendan

13th May 2022, 17:39
Hi SH,

"Tears ..." - You're correct that the second word is a single letter and the rest is word I didn't know but is in Chambers as "a drink container (capacity about 1/3 of a bottle)
122 of 130  -   Report This Post

candledave

13th May 2022, 20:03
Smellyharry, it’s the second and third word that give you the single letter. The “caught” is a homophone indicator rather than a container indicator.

Another sneaky Sabre clue
123 of 130  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

13th May 2022, 22:46
Ah, that makes sense now, thanks Candledave.
124 of 130  -   Report This Post

longhare

14th May 2022, 18:56
Would love a hint to the parsing of 5ac
125 of 130  -   Report This Post

quisling

14th May 2022, 19:00
It’s a partial anagram, longhare, but the anagram indicator is “at sea”
126 of 130  -   Report This Post

jif73

18th May 2022, 16:23
I started looking at this puzzle whilst suffering a mini migraine; that, plus Sabre rattling – see what I did there? – my already frazzled synapses with Machiavellian clues did not bode well.
As usual with blank-grid Listener puzzles, I began by making assumptions about the placement of across entries in the rows of the grid which invariably are never 100% correct. I made some progress bolting across and down entries together where I could, but that left me nowhere to put the longer down entries.
In frustration, I put it aside, thinking I would have to register my first no-show of the year, but then made a last-ditch attempt to complete it yesterday (Tuesday, 17-MAR).
This time, I did what I should have from the start - concentrate on placing the down entries using mooncow's most excellent Listener-Style Crossword Grid Designer. That, plus hints on the forum for clues that baffled me – thanks, guys! – got me back on track and over the line. I ended up walking round to the postbox with my entry at 4:45 this morning to catch the 9:00am collection. Fingers crossed it reaches St Albans in time for delivery tomorrow…

In spite of quisling's post (#37) parsing the "New Yorker" clue which does not seem entirely correct, I still can't see how "New Yorker" leads to the three letters needed to complete the solution. Anyone able to enlighten me?
127 of 130  -   Report This Post

hotelwhiskey7

18th May 2022, 18:06
‘New Yorker’ is generic American, chosen in this case to match ‘The’. Same as Victorian or Perth for Aus.

So it’s an American spelling of a six-letter synonym of ‘admitting’ (Chambers definition 1).
128 of 130  -   Report This Post

schorley

18th May 2022, 20:32
Re the New Yorker clue... I think quisling 's post # 37 is spot on:-

A 2-letter word representing the first word in the clue (10th definition in Chambers!), followed by

A 3-letter Americanism for admitting, plus

A 1-letter abbrev. for current ( not A ).

I found this a fiendish puzzle. As you can tell from the lateness of this post, I have only just finished it.
Thank you Sabre :-))
129 of 130  -   Report This Post

jif73

18th May 2022, 22:54
Thanks, HW7 and schorley.
Another one on my "Gorblimey!" list of Sabre clues. I finally see that 'The' doesn't lead to TH but that other more indirect two-letter word, and the rest fell into place.
130 of 130  -   Report This Post