CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

quisling

7th May 2022, 22:58
Convert numbers to digits
31 of 130  -   Report This Post

drxx

7th May 2022, 22:58
''spot'' - One letter remains of the 3rd word after 'marine' is removed and a 3 letter word for 'in' is found inside the shortened 'of' + the 3 letter 'island' (I think).
32 of 130  -   Report This Post

gitto

8th May 2022, 07:18
Good morning quisling. I decided to check the 18 possibilities chambers threw up for 3 down and found the answer (eventually). I have now a full grid. I have also just seen your post at 25 which confirms what I have. My brain was too frazzled to comb chambers yesterday, but a new day with a cup of coffee did the trick. I haven't a scoobydoo of how the New Yorker clue works, but other than that I am completely satisfied with my final grid.

Your nudge on 2 of the longer answers was invaluable as it restored much of my lost sanity.
33 of 130  -   Report This Post

candledave

8th May 2022, 07:25
I agree with you quisling, I was just messing. I think it’s great that experienced, and clearly very good, solvers like you and drxx are willing and able to help out us less experienced sorts so please don’t stop.

Going back to the crossword. Although I thought the cluing here was brilliant, I prefer my really tough puzzles to have a bit more of a pay-off. There was substantial satisfaction here in unpicking it all but there wasn’t the wow factor of a Pointer or Shark end-game in a D-grade Magpie for example.

Interested in others’ thoughts.
34 of 130  -   Report This Post

gitto

8th May 2022, 07:36
candledave, The shark was the kick-off (start game), to have another as an end game would have seen me whisked off for some psychiatric help!!! For once the lengthy grid staring was the "in" not the "out"
35 of 130  -   Report This Post

gitto

8th May 2022, 07:42
drxx, I agree entirely with your explanation of the spot clue. The 3 letter word for "in" had me barking up the wrong forests of trees in trying to solve the 2nd across clue for far too long.
36 of 130  -   Report This Post

quisling

8th May 2022, 08:31
Gitto, glad you made it. The New Yorker clue is a brute. First word gives first two letters, next three words give next three, fifth gives last one, final word is definition. I never thought I’d have to look up the first word 🙈
37 of 130  -   Report This Post

murky

8th May 2022, 10:15
I don't altogether agree with Candledave. Over the years endgames have become more and more elaborate, often involving substantial time searching the internet. I find it refreshing now and then to have an old-school Listener that is a masterclass in cluemanship.
38 of 130  -   Report This Post

gitto

8th May 2022, 10:29
.......and although the clues for IQ1750 are less tortuous, that is a masterclass in construction.
39 of 130  -   Report This Post

bananabean

8th May 2022, 11:00
Please help me to solve the first two across clues:
Mount up riding Rex’s two-year-old? (4)
Noxious gases from burning inside lifts (7)
Just hints wanted
40 of 130  -   Report This Post