CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

moffat

12th May 2022, 11:47
Thanks Candledave
111 of 130  -   Report This Post

quixote

12th May 2022, 23:05
All done!

B****y hard to start with, as always with carte-blanche grids, and Sabre's usual fiendishly obscure clueing - with just a few surprisingly (misleadingly?) obvious ones to sugar the pill (struggled for a long time to make ANTSY fit).
The discipline needed to project the symmetrical layout was also essential and challenging - but once the tipping point of solves and the PDM were reached, a lot of by-no-means trivial fun to completion, and some ultimately very entertaining clues.
Having said that, I've got 5 entries that perfectly fit the definitions in their clues, but cannot fathom out the parsing of the wordplay - no matter - quiet enjoyment sorting those out with no pressure.
Thank you, Sabre.

And special thanks to JB
112 of 130  -   Report This Post

neophyte

12th May 2022, 23:19
I too am pleased to have just finished before the next Listener comes out, with thanks to this thread for numerous hints in dark times. But I'm only really posting now to say that I too was misled by ANTSY for far too long
113 of 130  -   Report This Post

brendan

12th May 2022, 23:48
I'd like to add my thanks to Sabre for a truly outstanding puzzle, with much of the clueing both devious and inspired. Two examples ....

"The New Yorker ....." - For the longest time I could not work out the parsing and obviously I hadn't bothered to look up "the" in Chambers - well, why would I, we all know what it means!!

"One swims ...." - Pure genius.
114 of 130  -   Report This Post

mooncow

13th May 2022, 01:51
Thanks brendan -- it was the worth I needed, and somehow I'd missed that extra meaning right down at the bottom...!

I haven't spotted the significance of the title for this one. Anyone have any thoughts?
115 of 130  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

13th May 2022, 16:14
Put this aside to let the final stages of man-flu clear my system. Mooncow, your tool was invaluable. With its help I finished just about in time for today’s Listener to drop! Thank you.

Quite the workout. Thank you, too, Sabre!
116 of 130  -   Report This Post

crowdedmorning

13th May 2022, 16:48
Finally completed this one! What a workout. Impressive work by Sabre. After solving half of the clues, I cut the grid out into the proper Down answer lengths and tried to use those to assemble the grid—it probably harmed my comprehension more than it aided it, for reasons that will be clear to those who have solved the puzzle...

I must admit I still don't understand how to parse:

"Radical round boards not having instruments (8)"
and
"Land right before developing Covid-19 (9)"

In each case I have a handful of bits of wordplay but can't quite finish it off.
117 of 130  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

13th May 2022, 17:01
Chrisremo, for the first of your questions, “not having” is French or Shakespearean and a reversed “radical” gets aboard. I haven’t parsed the Land one fully yet.
118 of 130  -   Report This Post

candledave

13th May 2022, 17:04
First two words are definition and “Developing” is an anagram indicator
119 of 130  -   Report This Post

brendan

13th May 2022, 17:12
Hi Chris,

"Radical ...." - 4 letter "radical" as in 'fundamental' is reversed/'round' inside/'boards 4 letter "'not having'/without

"Land right ..." - Anagram of a single word in the clue + a 3 letter acronym of a respiratory disease/COVID-19 - definition is "land right"

120 of 130  -   Report This Post