CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

0pt0

11th May 2022, 11:21
I have finally completed this wonderful puzzle. It took me an awfully long time to spot "how to complete the grid", but once I found it, the rest was fairly straightforward. I must congratulate all those who have contributed to this thread for not giving away the secret.

In the past I have used this thread to obtain specific answers when stuck, but it is actually much more satisfying to solve a puzzle without such input.
101 of 130  -   Report This Post

pootle

11th May 2022, 13:05
I have over half the answers but I am very much struggling with trying to fit them into the grid. I figure that the first down answer has to come off the first five cells so as to connect the first across answer to the rest of the grid. Using the 180-degree symmetry I have placed the final six letter answer. I then have four five letter answers which must go after this six letter answer but don’t seem to fit given my last two across answers.

I hope that makes sense! I suspect I’m missing some twist in the grid fill. Can anyone nudge me in the right direction please?
102 of 130  -   Report This Post

hotelwhiskey7

11th May 2022, 14:07
Yup, you're missing some twist in the grid fill.

I know it's a bit 'Crossword-Help-Listener-Forum-y', but it would be kind to be cruel to give you any more help when you're so, so close...
103 of 130  -   Report This Post

pootle

11th May 2022, 16:27
Thanks hotelwhiskey7. Just confirming I was on the right track was sufficient for me to finally fall in! A simple but very effective twist.
104 of 130  -   Report This Post

moffat

11th May 2022, 19:54
Phew, a good workout. But annoyingly I can’t parse the Covid clue. Any nudge to help me sleep?
105 of 130  -   Report This Post

candledave

11th May 2022, 19:59
Moffat - it’s another devious one. There’s an anagram element in the wordplay
106 of 130  -   Report This Post

samovar

11th May 2022, 21:30
What a truly wonderful puzzle, and great, great fun. Thank you, Sabre.
One of the advantages in being a slowcoach is that the enjoyment lasts for much longer!
If anyone happens to pass by, I would really appreciate some enlightenment on how the "One of five of assassins" clue works. I'm pretty sure I have the right answer, but don't really understand it.
Thanks very much.
107 of 130  -   Report This Post

jordan

11th May 2022, 21:43
choose one of the letters that appears 5 times in "assassins" and follow that with a 6 letter word for the one who shows scorn.

That should give you a gun.
108 of 130  -   Report This Post

smithsax

11th May 2022, 22:56
Best Listener of the last few years in my opinion. Fiendish but fair clues, nice twist. It took 2 days for the penny to drop and even then I still needed another 2 days to finish.
A great challenge.
109 of 130  -   Report This Post

samovar

12th May 2022, 00:00
Thank you very much, Jordan.
I didn't know the word for one who shows scorn.
Now all is clear.
110 of 130  -   Report This Post