CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rpchambe

29th August 2021, 07:46
Oh, I've just seen Johnson's comment about classical music! I shall turn my thoughts in that direction (but any other help still welcome).
71 of 221  -   Report This Post

rpchambe

29th August 2021, 08:15
Oh, I've just got the Such Drinks. Obvious but surely not the theme.
72 of 221  -   Report This Post

jono

29th August 2021, 08:41
Hi rpchambe,
The theme is none of the clues you mention, but you’re not far away from it with the last one. The thematics which are anagrams you won’t find in anagram solvers for the reason you suggested. The fact that the preamble states that the theme has four parts is quite a big hint, provided you know it. I got into the grid by starting with the two 10 letter clues and a bit of trial and error. I’m sure there are other ways
73 of 221  -   Report This Post

rpchambe

29th August 2021, 09:15
Thanks Jono. The thought of trawling through google looking for Such Drinks is not appealing so I think I'll go for a swim instead and come back to it later. Perhaps inspiration will strike with the cold water as I ponder 'four parts'.
74 of 221  -   Report This Post

jono

29th August 2021, 10:03
In case I confused, when I said ‘not far away’ I was referring to the clue running order, not the drinks!
75 of 221  -   Report This Post

lizw

29th August 2021, 10:05
Thank you!
76 of 221  -   Report This Post

griffin

29th August 2021, 10:24
It's 10.15 on Sunday morning and after playing with this for 24 hours, I give up!
I got the theme and tried the perimeter as per the instructions. Like a number of other posters, I realised this must be wrong because of the two 3 letter clues on the perimeter. So following a hint on this site, I started at the top right and it seemed to work ok. I have both the 10 letter answers but which ever way I put them in, I reach an impasse.
There must be better ways to spend the weekend.
77 of 221  -   Report This Post

prospero

29th August 2021, 11:10
I'm sure there are better ways to spend the weekend, griffin - my partner would certainly agree with you ... but if you've got so far ... someone has already said the perimeter starts with the end of the 4th row. Then you will be much helped by wikipedia. I imagine if brendan clicked the button asking for notification on posts on the thread, he must be inundated with info on something he decided not to attempt ...
78 of 221  -   Report This Post

griffin

29th August 2021, 12:18
Thanks for the encouragement Prospero. I will have another go.
Am I correct in thinking that the earlier 10 letter answer is the one further to the right?
79 of 221  -   Report This Post

prospero

29th August 2021, 12:25
indeed!
80 of 221  -   Report This Post