CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

crypticsilver

28th August 2021, 16:41
Looked in the usual spot for the crossword at the back of the Journal, but just the regular quick crossword there, so it then dawned on me that it must be (a) a "special" crossword, and (b) a bank holiday weekend in the UK. I have had a look through, I don't think I'll get anywhere with it between now and Sunday night. As someone else suggested, perhaps a trawl of the archives for a crossword I can actually do! Happy solving
51 of 221  -   Report This Post

tombo

28th August 2021, 17:02
Just finished! Challenging (although I don't think unduly so for a bank holiday) but very enjoyable.

I think all fully parsed apart from 'Grandma with new canine...' and 'Professional killer's instrument....'

For those who were put off, I'd say:

- The answers being in alphabetical order helps a lot. Once you've got a handful, the first letters start to reveal themselves.
- 'Heed girl...' and 'Inside leg...' got me started on the theme, certainly not something I'm expert in but fair cluing throughout.
- I didn't write anything in the grid until I had probably 80% of the solutions. The answers to 'Caesar's god's....' and 'Foreign article....' were the key for me.

A bit of a different challenge, but a lot of fun!
52 of 221  -   Report This Post

pgbj

28th August 2021, 17:05
Finally found it - not sure its a tube station but a district anyway
53 of 221  -   Report This Post

biggus56

28th August 2021, 17:08
It took a long, long time to work out where to start the perimeter. My hint is "... further... solutions".
I disliked the theme before attempting this, and I loathe it now, but once I'd got started, I found it vexing, but doable.
Overall, I prefer the smell of bacon in the morning (Possibly a bit obscure to anyone outside my head, but I'm a bit frazzled).
54 of 221  -   Report This Post

castafiore

28th August 2021, 17:12
That was tough but it does work - I had to make several copies, as I kept spoiling them. I needed lots of help from Wikipedia list for the 14 themed words. Once you've inserted the four themed parts around the edge (and you definitely need to start on the right-hand end of the very bottom row), it's worth working towards the two ten-letter clues.
55 of 221  -   Report This Post

pgbj

28th August 2021, 17:13
The three latter answers certainly help. Though I realised later I had not ruled out that the 6 letter word could have been split into those positions which would have meant checking every 6 letter word to see if it could fit the four parts.
My way in was that I had both the 10 letter clues and all the T's. That fixed the themed one on the RHS.
56 of 221  -   Report This Post

prospero

28th August 2021, 17:18
yes, also was greatly held up by the scecond in the sequence beginning where the rubric indicates the first should start. I doubt even an expert in the subject could get all fourteen without wikipedia ... also some quite obscure words, one of which I still haven't cracked - the "wrong tree" which has to begin with the O in the top left ... also haven't discovered which word has to be "entered in two parts".
57 of 221  -   Report This Post

prospero

28th August 2021, 17:19
oh - stupid! - I had entered the word in two parts without realising it! Still haven't got the O word though.
58 of 221  -   Report This Post

matt79

28th August 2021, 17:21
Yes, tube station was a red herring. Apologies, as a fellow cornishman I need to brush up on my tfl knowledge
59 of 221  -   Report This Post

castafiore

28th August 2021, 17:24
If you're prepared to use Wikipedia for the theme, you'll get the O word.
60 of 221  -   Report This Post