CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

havermonkey

28th August 2021, 16:10
These complex ones terrify me until I get a foothold... can someone clarify what 'clues are in alphabetical order of their solutions' means? Doesn't seem to be a,b,c as the clues are listed so is it where they go on the grid? Like b..... is second answer on grid for either across or down? Or am I totally off base? Thanks!
41 of 221  -   Report This Post

chrise

28th August 2021, 16:13
A solution starting AB would come before one starting AG, for example.
42 of 221  -   Report This Post

pgbj

28th August 2021, 16:13
I have the grid completed except for two clues - one of which should be thematic. Even with all the checkers I cant find words to fit.
Any hints - "Milton's brother..." and "Half the capital goes..."?

Re the perimeter, you can read the four parts starting at the top right or bottom right. If you want them in chronological order you need to start at the top right. In the original language and clockwise.

BTW as well as the 6 letter word that needs to be split, one of the two word solutions (the theme) has to be put in two places.
43 of 221  -   Report This Post

matt79

28th August 2021, 16:16
Capital of Denmark, second half. And...... Barnet, on the northern line
44 of 221  -   Report This Post

actonhighstreet

28th August 2021, 16:21
Thanks pgbj! I've made a right mess of the paper and will have to print out the .pdf version.
45 of 221  -   Report This Post

barny

28th August 2021, 16:28
When you say top right for the start do you mean the bottom of the 45° clues or the top, They can both be construed as top right. Or am I going mad!
46 of 221  -   Report This Post

barny

28th August 2021, 16:32
Didn't explain that very well. There are 4 empty squares at a 45° angle. Do you mean start top left of the 4 or bottom right of the 4? Not sure that's any better!
47 of 221  -   Report This Post

pgbj

28th August 2021, 16:36
thanks matt79
I got the themed one after posting - cant believe I didn't pick it out of the wikipedia page. I still can't see the Barnet one - maybe have checker wrong... living in Cornwall the Northern line doesn't come to mind so quickly
48 of 221  -   Report This Post

pgbj

28th August 2021, 16:40
Bottom right of the four i.e. the start of the vertical run.
You will find that the second part then starts at the very bottom right of the horizontal run. The other two dont start at corners.
49 of 221  -   Report This Post

barny

28th August 2021, 16:41
Thanks pgbj. Are the 4 then in performance order?
50 of 221  -   Report This Post