CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

30th December 2023, 16:18
Grunger, I'm very sorry, but my brain makes full use of its EFS - Ess Filtering System. As I dislike quite a few of the words ending in -ess, I get them edited out, cleansed, so that I do not absorb them. This should keep me on the straight and narrow, avoiding all the ungainly murderesses, plasteresses and so on. Even on an abstract level, the distinction between 'murderess' and 'murdereress' gets no time or attention from me - I'd rather look for errant or superfluous apostrophes...

The film was.... unintentionally very funny in places.
851 of 862  -   Report This Post

grunger

30th December 2023, 21:15
Malone

I have just watched it and thought it terrific. I didn't know the story.

I was pleased that the judge insisted that the prosecutor correct his poor grammar after Charles Laughton mentioned the possibility of a female burglar. No prosecutrix would have made the error, and a judgess would also have pointed this out.

I could not understand why the usher kept shouting, as no usherette would have done, and the joke about the jurors and juroresses not having passed the bar exams seemed unnecessary.

I enjoyed the acting of Tyrone Power and Marlene Poweress. Great story by a brilliant authoress.
852 of 862  -   Report This Post

malone

30th December 2023, 21:50
Grunger, your review of the film was every bit as powerful and amusing as the film itself. It was lovely to see you scattering the 'ess' words around with such gay abandon.

My sister has seen the film several times and she was very put out that I regarded it as a comedy. She said 'they don't make them like that nowadays'. I was very good, I kept my 'thank goodness for that' comment to myself.
853 of 862  -   Report This Post

jono

30th December 2023, 22:26
I’m reminded that at a Christmas party I attended recently, while in discussion with several young members of the acting fraternity, I was curious that they referred to themselves, and to the characters that they are currently playing on stage, as actresses rather than actors. On polite enquiry they were in unanimous agreement that this was the correct and they would most certainly wish to be known as actresses. I retreated to the piano for the remainder of the evening and was generously plied with wine.
854 of 862  -   Report This Post

darla

30th December 2023, 22:46
Well then, would acting "fraternity" be the correct description?
855 of 862  -   Report This Post

jono

30th December 2023, 22:52
Mea culpa! No, “brilliant and talented young people” would be correct :-)
856 of 862  -   Report This Post

grunger

31st December 2023, 14:50
Malone

Yes, there were some funny moments, but I was pleased the judge insisted on the correct female words. I don't think this was meant to be humorous, even though some in court laughed.

I think he should have insisted on "witnessess". I suppose it was Christie's fault. As there were 3 "witnesses", 2 of whom were female, a better title would have been "Witness and Witnessesses for the Prosecution". That would have been accurate and less confusing.

Jono

I liked your acting fraternity story. Thanks.
857 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

31st December 2023, 15:05
Malone, Grunger

I watched it on TV a few weeks ago - great film. Christie is my favourite author. I have read all her books, and Mr Quinn and Parker Pyne are my favourite characters. I agree there was a lot of comedy in it. I imagine Grunger was impressed with Marlene Dietrich's witnessessship.

I loved the twist at the end when she stabs her husband with many people in court. Charles Laughton said he wanted to defend her, and I think Christie drafted a follow-up. I understand the working title was "Witnesses and Witnessesses for the Prosecution and Witnesses and Witnessesses for the Defence".
858 of 862  -   Report This Post

malone

31st December 2023, 15:11
Grunger, Jigjag et al... thanks.

Jigjag, I wonder what size my cinema ticket would be if we had the follow-up film you suggested? I've read quite a few AC books, but not for many years. Miss Marple is my favourite, she's like me ... a nosy parker (parkeress? H'mm).

The ending of the film was... ludicrous for now, but maybe more thrilling at the time it was in the cinema.
859 of 862  -   Report This Post

grunger

31st December 2023, 18:58
Malone, jigjag

A great suggestion for a title - accurate if rather long. Some of her titles baffle me, Taken at the Flood, The Mirror Cracked from Side to Side etc. I know they are quotations but seem to have no relevance to the books.

Yes, a strange ending with a twist (of the knife?) I dont suppose they would leave "Exhibit A" lying around today.

I love Nosy Parkeress.

860 of 862  -   Report This Post