CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jigjag

2nd December 2023, 14:22
Malone

Glad you enjoyed it. You were certainly better off going home. All these fancy coffees baffle me, as do the prices. Do people actually order them? Of course, Cassie serves a limited "range", but you only get instant coffee with different amounts of milk depending on what you order. I must try one next time.

Grunger

Thanks, but I have a feeling they meant it. I was pleased to get 2 spoons, so cant complain.
771 of 862  -   Report This Post

grunger

2nd December 2023, 14:32
malone

Yes I have baked loads of mince pies, but no others so far. I must remember to bake you a Christmas Dinner pie. No problem with the chicken and stuffing, but although my oven is quite large, I wont be able to fit a pig in, with or without a blanket. I will do a separate pork pie for you. I'm afraid I dont do veg pies.
772 of 862  -   Report This Post

malone

2nd December 2023, 15:23
Thanks, Grunger. I'll skip the pork pie if you don't mind, I've never liked the texture of those. I will swap my 'pig in blanket' for a small chipolata, so that my Christmas pie can better embody Christmas dinner.

I was delighted to hear you 'don't do' veg pies - I'd consider those a waste of good pastry.

773 of 862  -   Report This Post

malone

2nd December 2023, 15:26
Jigjag, I almost overlooked you - something Cassie would never do, I'm sure. Yes, these drinks/fancy coffees seem to be very popular, goodness knows why. I'd be quite happy to have an ordinary coffee and a piece of millionaire's shortbread or even a chunk of panettone - what I don't want is a drink that claims to blend the two. I now travel everywhere with a Kit Kat in my pocket in case I'm in dire need of sustenance.
774 of 862  -   Report This Post

chrise

3rd December 2023, 20:42
I'm getting more and more irritated by sports commentators' cliche of "100 per cent" when they just mean "completely"..

And don't get me started on "you can't underestimate...."
775 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

5th December 2023, 20:33
Chrise

Yes, even the simplest question gets a reply of "100%" or the idiotic "110%". I am waiting for somebody to say 93.5% or similar.

776 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

5th December 2023, 20:38
Malone

I dont think the cafe serves millionaire's shortbread, or anything else for millionaires, but the prices are low and that often attracts rich people, I understand.

I am going to start Christmas shopping tomorrow and will probably visit the cafe. As I am on a diet, I might have soup or coffee, or both.
777 of 862  -   Report This Post

grunger

6th December 2023, 12:11
jigjag

I would just have the soup, I dont like the way they make coffee. Should be straightforward?
778 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

6th December 2023, 16:44
Grunger

Interesting that your favourite word was in the Times today:

After start of fire close damaged platform (6)
779 of 862  -   Report This Post

malone

6th December 2023, 18:26
Jigjag, I hope you enjoyed your Christmas shopping. Did you opt for soup or coffee or both? I feel you might have needed proper sustenance!

I enjoyed some bits of Matthew Parris's column in today's Times. He's discussing the theory that as we grow older, we lose our sense of proportion. He says 'We get crosser and crosser about smaller things. We obsess about apostrophes and punctuation...' I think we pedants carry a very heavy burden - we got 'crosser and crosser...' long before old age came along!

Grunger, I remember being exhausted after we'd sorted all the fo'c'sle and focsle and bosun and bo'sun and boatswain stuff.
780 of 862  -   Report This Post