CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

23rd December 2023, 15:42
Grunger, I am afraid any trip to far-off places will now have to wait until 2024. I hope pie and sundries all have good/long BB or 'Use By' dates?

Parallelogram, I always have trouble with Stornoway, even though it is a word I see regularly and use regularly. There are several other words that often trip me up. One is Pharaoh (which I've had to look up) and I can't remember the others!
841 of 862  -   Report This Post

grunger

27th December 2023, 13:12
Malone
I am very sorry but I suspect I have put you to a lot of unnecessary trouble. On Christmas Eve, I picked up a message from Jigjag saying that a pedant had spotted an error in my addressing of the parcel to you. He stressed it was “o” not “a”.

I managed to get Royal Mail to trace the parcel and change the address as follows:

Pie & Block Pudding
For Molone
c/o Stornowoy Post Office
Lewis & Horris
Scotlond

I hope you did not have a wasted journey to get it, and it may still not have arrived, so don’t go yet.
842 of 862  -   Report This Post

malone

27th December 2023, 13:50
Grunger, thonks for thot, greot fun.

I was going to swap all the As for Os, but some of the words look distinctly ugly. I'll return to normal spelling now....

I was thrilled to hear that I should still be able to tuck into my special pie and black pudding. It'll make a very welcome change from all the Christmas fare. It really was very kind of you to go to all that trouble, thonks (sic).

843 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

27th December 2023, 14:00
Grunger

I am sorry that my message was not clear, but it seems to have turned out well. I am grateful to parallelogram for pointing out the errors, which I am afraid I did not notice. I always have trouble with "separate" and "calendar".
844 of 862  -   Report This Post

malone

27th December 2023, 14:30
Hello, Jigjag. I was pleased that you didn't mind porollelagrom pointing out the a/o errors. Sometimes these typos, spelling mistakes slip through even when we are being hyper-vigilant. I'm pleased to report that every single word in this post has been checked and rechecked...

Best wishes, Molane.
845 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

28th December 2023, 14:49
Melano

I have also checked your latest post and can find no errors. I was glad the slips were noticed, and it gave Gringer a chance to write a story.
846 of 862  -   Report This Post

malone

28th December 2023, 16:50
Jigjag, isn't it nice when a story has a happy ending?

Grunger, I thought of you today while watching a very old black and white film. There was mention of a 'burglaress'. That word must have dropped out of favour, it no longer appears in Chambers. You can take it upon yourself to use it so frequently, all across the country - it could make its way back into dictionaries?
847 of 862  -   Report This Post

grunger

29th December 2023, 17:48
Malone

I have never heard of the word, but it must right, logically. I will certainly use it if I get the chance.
848 of 862  -   Report This Post

malone

30th December 2023, 14:55
Grunger, if you want to hear the word 'burglaress', just watch the hoary old film, 'Witness For The Prosecution'. One of the barristers pounced on a witness referring to a 'burglar'. The barrister's point was that it could just as easily have been a burglaress who broke in that evening - and the jury should take this into account. I classed it as 'clutching at straws' in the 'Defence of my client' Stakes!
849 of 862  -   Report This Post

grunger

30th December 2023, 16:07
Malone

Thanks for the tip. I have got the film taped so will watch it with interest.

Watching another Christie film, Poirot referred to a murderess. I am sure this is correct, but wondered why it was not murdereress, like plastereress and battereress. Do have any ideas as to the inconsistency?
850 of 862  -   Report This Post