CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrise

6th December 2023, 19:02
I meant to post that your "two soups" post earlier reminded me of a couple of nights we spent in Avoca (near Dublin), which we discovered, after we arrived, was the basis for "Ballykissangel" (which didn't mean much, as neither of us had ever seen it).
Anyway, two rivers meet in the village, one very muddy, the other clear. The muddiness and clearness remained separated for at least* half a mile downstream of the confluence.

*we didn't follow it any further
781 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

6th December 2023, 19:47
Malone, Grunger

Thank you for your advice. I wasn’t sure what to have at the market café today, so for once, I looked at the blackboard and an item caught my eye:

Soup of the Day’s £2

I decided, with trepidation, to teach Cassie some grammar.

“I am afraid you have a superfluous apostrophe” I told her. “The other day you referred to your two soups as Soup of the Days, which of course has no apostrophe, but it should be Soups of the Day anyway.”

“As usual you are wrong” she rebuked me. “On Wednesdays we only have one soup, which is vegetable, and the description is quite correct. It is saying that Soup of the Day is £2. The apostrophe is replacing a missing letter.”

I was taken aback, but I had to admit she was right. Of course, I had to order the soup, which was substantial and tasty.
782 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

6th December 2023, 19:48
Chrise

That is amazing - how does it happen?
783 of 862  -   Report This Post

chrise

6th December 2023, 19:57
I suppose there is little turbulence and thus sideways mixing.

It was the inspiration for The meeting of the waters"

https://visitwicklow.ie/listing/meeting-of-the-waters-avoca-valley/
784 of 862  -   Report This Post

malone

6th December 2023, 22:11
Jigjag. My first reaction to Cassie's rebuke was 'Ha, that serves Jigjag right'! The apparently superfluous apostrophe might have caught me out too, to course, but it never will now. I'll be hyper-vigilant now.

ChrisE, the river stuff was interesting.
785 of 862  -   Report This Post

geting

8th December 2023, 08:54
Hello all

I'm so glad you guys are talking to each other again. I've been following your banter with great amusement, especially the delightful Cassie. I imagine her as the old-fashioned type who nonchalantly takes your order with a cigarette dangling from the corner of her mouth (current legislation notwithstanding). The varied career of Grunger is also quite fascinating. Amazing to have accomplished so much, though surprisingly, waitress seems not to be on her CV. Could Cassie take her on for the Christmas season perhaps?
786 of 862  -   Report This Post

malone

8th December 2023, 09:05
Geing, Grunger waitressing? She has far too many pies to make for that to be a good use of her time.
787 of 862  -   Report This Post

geting

8th December 2023, 10:59
My apologies. Naturally, such a talented lady would have enough on her plate already
788 of 862  -   Report This Post

malone

8th December 2023, 11:49
Thanks, Getting. Grunger is very versatile, so might like to be dishing out pies rather than cooking them. From the stories on the Forum, it's often Jigjag with a lot - an awful lot -on his plate!
789 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

9th December 2023, 19:01
Geting

Thanks for your kind words. I am glad you like hearing about our experiences.

You are right about Cassie. She IS the old-fashioned type, late fifties, blonde, attractive. I have never seen her smoke though. She works hard taking orders, serving and washing-up - by hand. Paul, the owner, is the chef.

She enjoys the banter with customers. It is always interesting there, with the strange rules, Cassie's sharp tongue and her uncanny knack of always being right. I often go there when I am in town during the Christmas period.

I also enjoy hearing from Malone and Grunger about their shopping, coffee and baking exploits.

790 of 862  -   Report This Post