CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jigjag

29th November 2023, 20:05
Malone, Jono, Grunger

Thank you for your efforts. I did indeed enter into the spirit of it by attempting to read Jono's posting whilst standing (if that is the verb) on my head, with support from my son and the wall. I got about halfway before inevitable crashing down.

I may be wrong but it seemed that all of Jono's Capital letters were converted to lower case. Of course, I am used to reading upside-down texts where this does not happen, but am curious to know if Jono has invented something here or possibly encoded the message.
761 of 862  -   Report This Post

malone

29th November 2023, 20:09
Thanks, Jigjag. I hope it was only your pride that was hurt when you came crashing to the ground?

I was too lazy to walk round to the other side of my desk to read Jono's rendering of my post. That's interesting about the changes to letters within my (carefully honed) message. I am glad I had no desire to learn 'upside down typing', I'll just stick to eating upside-down cakes (if any come my way).

762 of 862  -   Report This Post

jono

29th November 2023, 20:31
⅁ Ɐ ᒋ ⅁ I ᒋ

😉
763 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

30th November 2023, 12:49
Malone

No serious damage, thanks, but I wont try that again.

Jono

Thanks. I have enjoyed your upside-down ideas
764 of 862  -   Report This Post

malone

30th November 2023, 14:11
Jigjag, I was relieved to hear that you suffered no lasting damage after your bit of exercise.

I think I'd still feel a little disgruntled with the cafe's upside-down/not upside-down cake, so I feel you should go out of your way to make things difficult for them. Next time you pop in there, ask for one of these... a kouigh-amman, and if they haven't got that, what about an amygdalopita or an aranygaluska? I'd prefer a cassatella di sant'Agata or an oponki myself, but it might be rather unreasonable to ask for those. If all else fails, just settle for a toasted teacake.
765 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

1st December 2023, 12:19
Malone

I am afraid I dont know what any of those things are, but I suppose the cafe might. I must find out, but yes they do teacakes, toasted or not.
766 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

1st December 2023, 18:20
I decided to enter the market café with caution, so no handstands, cartwheels or any mention of Malone’s delicacies.

“Where have you been?” demanded Cassie, “I suppose our little joke with the upside-down cake put you off.”

“Not at all, but it was wasted on me as I had never seen it before” I replied.

“Huh, what breakfast do you want?”

“Actually, I might have the soup of the day.”

“On Fridays we have two soup of the days, onion and oxtail” she said.

I frowned but decided not point out the error, “I’ll have some of both”.

“Do you mean in the same bowl or separate?” she asked.

I suppose I should have seen that coming, but I told her that separate would be better, and that I didn’t mind consecutive or concurrent servings.

“Con currants? Are you speaking Italian again? We don’t have currants but you can have them “con croutons”, if you like”.

The two bowls of soup were served together, with two bread rolls and two spoons, and were delicious.
767 of 862  -   Report This Post

malone

1st December 2023, 19:53
Evening, Jigjag - thanks, that was fun, though I expect reading about it was better than the experience itself. Those soups are probably my least favourites). I loved the 'concurrent' bit, I just hope Cassie didn't think you were showing off.

I met an old friend for coffee the other day, but left thirsty. Moira took me into one coffee shop and offered me a choice of iced sugar cookie almondmilk latte, gingerbread oatmilk chai or panettone latte. I politely declined and we went elsewhere. The beverage menu outside the next place put me off too - gingerbread and cream latte, sticky toffee iced latte and many more weird and wonderful things. I suddenly 'remembered' an urgent appointment, left hurriedly ... and enjoyed a mug of Nescafe when I got home. (Filter coffee is reserved for weekends).

768 of 862  -   Report This Post

grunger

2nd December 2023, 14:06
jigjag

I enjoyed reading about your latest trip to the market cafe. How they could suggest mixing 2 soups together is beyond me, but I suppose it was another of their "jokes". Mind you, some cafe soup I have had would have tasted better if mixed with another.

Malone

I have baked a couple of your suggestions to jigjag, but they did not turn out well, sadly. I should stick to pies.
769 of 862  -   Report This Post

malone

2nd December 2023, 14:13
Hello, Grunger - and thanks for even attempting my exotic bakes (well, exotic names, I now can't remember what the cakes are like).

I'm sure you're in full pie mode now that Christmas is approaching - mince pies and lots of savoury versions? I'd quite like a Christmas dinner pie - some sliced roast chicken, a layer of decent stuffing, a pig in a blanket and a nice slathering of thickish gravy to top it off. If you are one of those people who sticks to 'five a day', the veg can have a pie of their own... I'll pass that one on to someone else.
770 of 862  -   Report This Post